Control Logix tags for Wonderware

brett93304

Let’s say you were devolving a new program for a Control Logix Processor, and you knew this PLC would be monitored/controlled form a Wonderware work station, how would you go about grouping/creating your tags to make polling them in Wonderware easer?

Would it be worth the time to create an array/block of all the DATA and poll just that array/block?

Thank you,
Brett

There are a lot of considerations but I am learning to love the user defined tags and if you address the alpha numerically your implimentation into the ww tag dictionary is very quick. e.g.

tag type pump

pump1.start_pb
pump1.start_il
pump1.stop_pb
pump1.stop_il
pump1.alarm_timer

when you enter
pump1.start_pb
then hit new tag it automatically increases the name to

pump2.start_pb

so you can really save time here.

Yes, using UDDTs and arrays with ControlLogix processors enhances data transfer efficieny with a well considered layout. You get much extra benefit if this helps you write a simpler/cleaner program in RSLogix 5000.