Controllogix ASCII over Ethernet

CVJ

Hello,
We are looking to send ASCII strings to serial printers over Ethernet with a Controllogix.
Has anyone done this and what would be the best method?
Print server that handles CIP, Serial to Ethernet converter?
Thanks for your help

I'm not sure if the 1756-EWEB will do this for you. I am almost certain the 1756-ENBT cannot and am 100% sure the 1756-ENET cannot.

An alternative might be to use two serial to Ethernet converters in point-to-point mode and use the serial port on the PLC. This can be a little slow due to the serial to Ethernet conveters but should work for what you are doing. In this case a single serial to Ethernet converter with a com port redirector won't work for you.

Keith

DeviceMaster UP

Our company makes a product called the DeviceMaster UP. This product can do serial to ethernet (and vice versa), as well as serial to Ethernet/IP. We have configured several installations involving sending ASCII serial strings across an Ethernet medium via Ethernet/IP between a PLC and a printer. Sample logic is included and can be downloaded from our website also. Feel free to google our part number 99011-6 for links leading to the specifications for the product. I am unable to post a link here for some reason.

Or feel free to contact me direct, and I can assist you further with your needs.

if you have serial printer (no ethernet), then 1734AENT and 1734-232ASC will be the best solution. If printer has ethernet, then EWEB is the only solution

We have used the Serial-Controllogix gateway mentioned by Rick for communication in both directions. I will attest to the nearly intuitive setup. The 'just a few minutes' claim is no lie.

Has anyone used the ******* Devicemaster PRO?

I looked at the RTA product but the issue is that we have 2 sub-systems with 8 devices each.
I've looked into the ******* product and it looks like it may do what I need.
Thanks in advance

CVJ said:
I looked at the RTA product but the issue is that we have 2 sub-systems with 8 devices each.
I've looked into the ******* product and it looks like it may do what I need.
Thanks in advance

The ******* product spammed this website very heavily.
So badly that the forum ******* name.

I hope you're not an effort to keep spamming this board.

No, Sorry. I got an email from them in response to my previous post and was just wondering.
I realized something was up when I posted the message and the name was removed.
Again, Sorry

You're right. You would need 4 435's to do what you want for 1 system. There are 2 ports on each gateway. Each port would have to point to seperate tags in the plc.

CVJ said:
No, Sorry. I got an email from them in response to my previous post and was just wondering.
I realized something was up when I posted the message and the name was removed.
Again, Sorry

Nothing to be sorry for.
You're a user interested in their product.
That's a perfectly valid use of the forum & you're more then welcome to it.
It's too bad they spammed the board in turn hindering having a conversation about their product.

Allright, now i gotta know what product it is. Someone care to defeat the spam blockers? Or just send me a PM

thanks
-jeff

My sincerest apologies folks. I think there might be a fine line between spamming the board, and offering helpful, useful information to those interested in a product which we offer. It's certainly not my intent to cross that line at all. I do try my best to post answers to questions where our product looks like it may be a good fit and not on erroneous questions. It appears as though that "spam" line has already been crossed. Would anyone have any suggestions on how I might become removed from this spam list? Any helpful suggestions are certainly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!