Controllogix ASCII User Mode

fredbear

Is there any way to use hyperterminal to switch the serial port on a controllogix processor from 'User' (ASCII) protocol to 'System (DF1) protocol and back again?

I've tried using the control-V and shift-S as an earlier thread suggested to no avail.

It won't be pretty

What's the application ? Remember that you can send AWT instructions out from the serial port even when it's in System Mode. You just can't read the input buffer.

In the Logix operating system, the serial port has both a Current and Pending set of parameters. If you are going to change the Port Mode, you write to the Pending parameter set then send a "Apply Changes" message.

The "Com Driver ID" attribute of the Serial Port object is not fully tested and exposed to the user application via the GSV/SSV instructions, so you're going to need to get the full object definition from your local RA office.

I recall managing to corrupt the serial port configuration by "playing" with this object, and I have not tried to manipulate it since the serial port handler was rewritten in v16.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss that object definition.

A processor is running in the field. If (for example) I have problems connecting to the processor over ethernet to the ENBT card in the rack, I would like to still be able to get online with the processor via the serial port. At the moment the serial port is configured to 'User (ASCII) Protocol'. I'd like to be able to temporarily change the serial port configuration back to 'System (DF1)' so that I can actually get online. If it can be done, I'd like to know how, but not if there's a risk of corrupting the port.