Controllogix output module config (output state when fault or program mode)

I've yet to see an output module retain an output 'ON' state for the most frequent of failures QUOTE]
So, that is why I couldn't think of any purpose of that option.

BTW, is there any situation where I would want the output to be ON when intentionally switching from Run mode to program mode? I mean other than inadvertent switching to program mode, like Ron had demonstrated by removing CPU card from chassis.

BTW, is there any situation where I would want the output to be ON when intentionally switching from Run mode to program mode? I mean other than inadvertent switching to program mode, like Ron had demonstrated by removing CPU card from chassis.

I've struggled with that scenario also... the only thing i can think of is if you want a remote controller to know that the local processor is running ??? Lighting a signal light to indicate that the processor is no longer in control seems a bit trivial.

But it would be better if the local processor held an output ON, and all fault modes turned it OFF. That would give a better positive indication that things are ok. That sort of scenario is usually handled by comms dropout, some sort of comms handhshake, or in the case of Logix5000, you can determine remote processor status by including "ConnectionStatus" in a produced/consumed tag...

... the only thing i can think of is if you want a remote controller to know that the local processor is running ??? Lighting a signal light to indicate that the processor is no longer in control seems a bit trivial.

Electric shock collar on the maintenance electrician? :eek:

yes, but it will be sometime tomorrow before I'll have a chance - all of my ControlLogix systems are up at the lab for this week's class ... stay tuned ...

Ron,
Can you check what the output response is when the module is inhibited?

I know the answer to that question - (well at least part of the answer) - the module behaves as if the processor is in Program Mode...

a. Outputs that are configured to be ON for the program mode configuration will come ON when you inhibit the module.

b. Outputs that are configured to be HOLD LAST STATE for the program mode configuration will HOLD LAST STATE when you inhibit the module.

Strictly speaking, processor "Program Mode" configuration of the output module should read "Not Run Mode", because both a. and b. above is also true if the processor is put into "Test Mode"