Convert old OIT to Panelview Plus

zacslade

Hi all,

I'm starting a project where I have to convert an old HMI to work on a new panelview plus 7.

A person who used to work for us, but does not anymore, started this project. What I have in the project folder are:
- PANEL_1.PVC
- Panel_1.pbw
- Panel_1.apa
- Tag Errors Panel_1.txt

I was told that the conversion will be a multi-step process, and only "the first step" has been completed.

So, the questions I have are:
- Which of these files represents the oldest type of program?
- Does the fact that I have a .apa file mean that the process is more-or-less complete?
- It looks like two separate file conversions have taken place, because there are three program files. Which conversion would have produced the text file?
- What software do I need to open these older files, and what software is typically used to perform such a conversion?
- Could you guys recommend any good technotes on this?

I don't expect answers to all of my questions, but I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
-Zac S.

Last edited:
The APA would be an archive of the application that would go into your PanelView Plus so it's quite possible that the project is at least partially complete. You'd probably have to open it to see.

The APA would be restored with FactoryTalk View Studio ME using the Application Manager. I'm not too sure about the .PVC and .PBW, RSView32 maybe? I don't think it's PanelBuilder32 because those would be .PVA and .PBA.

*.PBW = PanelBuilder 1200 for Windows, for the PanelView 1200 Classic terminals.
*.PVC = PanelBuilder 1400E, for the PanelView Enhanced terminal.
*.APA = FactoryTalk View Studio project archive

RA did build a PanelView 1400E -> FactoryTalk View conversion utility but not a PanelView 1200 Classic conversion utility, so those conversions were "two steps" because first you had to convert to PanelBuilder 1400e (a very good conversion utility because the devices were so similar) and then from PanelBuilder 1400e to FactoryTalk View (a less good converter utility). I did a dozen of them a decade ago and it was unpleasant.

Such a project might be better to do from scratch rather than attempt to re-use anything.

Do you know if the original PanelView 1200 used Remote I/O networking ? What type of PLC controller will you be connecting the new PV+ terminal to ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!

So the old project had their OIT connected to a PLC 5 with DH+. My plan is to use a Prosoft DH+ to E/IP gateway to make the connection.

Ken Roach said:
I did a dozen of them a decade ago and it was unpleasant.
I don't have anything of real help to you to add, other than if Ken says what you're trying to do is "unpleasant", I would be looking around for some other solutions ;) if the application is not too complex, as Ken suggested, redeveloping from scratch may well be just as quick (if not quicker) and save your blood pressure.

I would investigate upgrading the PLC5 to one with ethernet on board if that's an option, rather than using a DH+ gateway. I say "investigate", because I haven't worked with enough PLC5 stuff to give you truly accurate information on what would be required, but if you can cut out the gateway you're just saving one layer of complexity, and making it slightly simpler later on if the PLC should be upgraded too. But having said that, if that's not an option, Prosoft is a good choice.

I should be more clear: the ones I did were PanelView 1200 to PanelView Plus version 3.20 with Remote I/O.

RIO isn't even available for the PV+6 or PV+7, so the sad ballads of the long-ago RIO/RSLinx Enterprise implementation can be skipped.

I agree that a PLC-5 upgrade to an Ethernet controller or a 1785-ENET sidecar would be ideal. The PanelView Plus 7 does not support the DH+ card that the older PV+ and PV+6 did.

I have not used the Prosoft EtherNet/IP to DH+ bridge and I don't know if it's compatible with RSLinx Enterprise; a great question for RA and Prosoft technical support.

I have done a few of these with the Prosoft AN-X2. Here is a basic tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNRAqYj0z4

As Ken said PV 1200 to 1400 is not bad but 1400 to PV + conversion can be a PITA depending on what kind of things they were using /doing in the PV 1200 /1400.

As others said if it's not a real complicated HMI application you may be better off just doing the new HMI in FT View from scratch if there are a lot of complex screens it may be worth it to sort through the mapping.

Prosoft has great support and can help you with it if need be.

zacslade can you post your tag errors txt? (strip out any confidential names/data)

I assume that is the import errors list from FT View Studio. That would give a good idea of how much work is ahead of you.

I like to import the old PV project and use them as a reference. But I rebuild the project/screens new.
Either create the new screens in the same project, or open a 2nd instance of FTView Studio and just alt-tab between them.

Hi guys, I'm trying to convert an old PanelView 1200 Classic but I can't connect with this yet. I need to do a backup of the application.
I'm using PanelBuilder 1200 for DOS in a virtual machine with MS-DOS 6.22, with a USB-RS232 converter but it's not result.
I supose that i don't have the correct drivers in the OS.
So the question is if anyone of you have the windows version of PanelBuilder 1200 to share me?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Bye.