Converting From GE Series 90-30 to Siemens S7-4?? Suggestions??

R_Stone

We are on a plant wide standardization process that means we are in the process of changing everything out to Siemens. I am not privy to the secret counsels that make the decisions, I just have to live with it. I don't really have a problem with it since I like the Siemens equipment and S7 isw not too tough. Anyway, I was wondering if there happened to be some sort of converter that would give me a decent start? Any other suggestions about how best to proceed would also be appreciated. This is the largest process in our plant and I don't want to screw it up.

Robert

Last edited:
I would suggest familiarising yourself with the process and rewriting.
Failing that is the GE broken down into Subroutines that your could simply rewrite into Siemens OB/FB blocks? Most GE instructions are very simple, so download the instruction set manual and look up the more complex ones.

I am learning S7 and have very strong GE 90/30 90/70 RX7 background and would say S7 looks much more flexible so it should be pretty straight forward.

Remember 90/30 timers and counters use 3 registers for

Rxxx 1 Accum
Rxxx 2 Preset
Rxxx 3 Working

R_Stone said:
... This is the largest process in our plant and I don't want to screw it up.Robert

Too bad the guys up the corporate ladder just don't understand the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" moto. Standardization is nice, but at what price?

I'd say setup dual monitors, have the old project open on one monitor for reference, start re-writing using the other. Of course if the process isn't that complicated, just start from scratch. Easier said the done. Good luck!

Is the GE program written in Ladder ? Or can it be switched to Ladder ?
My experience with similar conversion jobs is that Ladder code can almost always be copied 1 to 1 with minimal problems.