converting micrologix to PLC5

Yes you can. You can even cut and paste code directly between RSLogix500 and RSLogix5.

Be warned that there are some differences.
Most important is that the Micrologix oneshot instruction ONS isnt exactly the same as the ONS in PLC5. There are limitations as to where you can put it.
There is no SCP (SCale w Parameters) in PLC5.
And there are others. But all the "regular" instruction will port with no problem.

Jesper is certainly correct:
... all the "regular" instruction will port with no problem.

you're not going to need analog signals are you? ... these could be done too but there will be some major hoops to jump through ... the PLC-5 processor uses Block Transfer Reads and Block Transfer Writes to communicate with its analog (and other "special" type) modules ... post again if that's going to be an issue in your application ...

you'll also need to rework the I/O addresses when you port the program over ... but as Jesper said, this is mostly just a matter of cutting and pasting the program rungs from one platform to another ...

hint: if you have to post again, it would be a good idea to list the specific part numbers of the hardware you'll be using ... there are different "flavors" of both MicroLogix and PLC-5 systems ... we can give you much more specific help if we know exactly what you're working with ...

Yes you can. You can even cut and paste code directly between RSLogix500 and RSLogix5.

While you can technically cut and paste there are too many differences in I/O addresses to make this trivial. The best thing to do is to save the program from the RSLogix500 as an ASCII file. Then isolate the ladder logic and replace the I/O addresses and comparible instructions with their PLC-5 counterparts. Both digital and analog I/O addresses will differ for several reasons:

1) I/O addresses in the micro logix are decimal, PLC-5 I/O addresses are octal.

2) Micro analog addresses are in the I/O image table (I:... and O:...) while the PLC-5 addresses are read into any 16 word file you choose (usually an integer file).

3) 32 bit modules are also addressed differently. In the micro, points 16-31 are addressed as X:Y.1/16..31. In the PLC-5 these are addressed based on the slot and use the standard octal format 0-7, 10-17.

Nuff said about addresses.

The standard instructions remain the same. The OSR in the micro family is an ONS in the PLC-5. The SCP and SCL instructions don't exist in the PLC-5 either.

Anyone else know other things to look out for?

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

ONS and OSR

Actually there are little differences between the instruction sets for ML1000 and ML1200/ML1500.

The ML1000 OSR is most similar to ML1200/ML1500 ONS and PLC5 ONS .
There can be more ONS instructions in a PLC5 rung, but only one ONS/OSR instruction in a ML1x000 rung, and you cannot branch over it.

There can be more ONS instructions in a PLC5 rung, but only one ONS/OSR instruction in a ML1x000 rung, and you cannot branch over it.

So that wouldn't be a problem when converting an SLC program to PLC-5 would it...

(8{)} ( .)

An SLC is the same as an ML1000 in this respect.
SLC uses OSR where PLC5 uses ONS.

I just wanted to point oregonsam to the fact that if he uses ML1200 or ML1500 (which is a better idea as both have floating point math etc.), then he must use ONS and not the OSR as that only applies to SLC/ML1000.
Its not a big deal, I just like to keep the specifics correct.

converting to ascii?

(8{)} ( .) gave good advice on editing I/O addresses by converting the RELogix500 file to ascii and then editing with a word processor. BUT...I can't find a saveas option that does this conversion.

Can anyone point me the right direction?

PS..thanks for all the good posts, they are very helpful.
Sam

I recommend using Access to modify the addresses. It's pretty easy to do powerful text manipulations within queries. You can also do conversions from octal etc... within your queries. You can save your conversion queries too for the next project. The VBA automation makes it even better.

If you've got any questions, just post.

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

can't cut&paste between micrologix and plc5

I'm trying to write simple code with a micrologix 1000 using just the first 8 inputs and outputs i:0/0-7 and 0:0-7 so there shouldn't be address conflicts decimal to octal. But I can't copy any rungs correctly from the RSLogix 500 to RSLogix5.

All the addresses on the instructions change to 000/0. Copying from the PLC5 logic to the Micrologix works fine.

Any hints?