Converting REAL to Byte

SilverShotBee

Hi, I'm faced with a rather annoying issue. I'm using CoDeSys 2.3 on an IFM CR0401 PLC which is talking to a CR0451 HMI via a CANfox network. The network is only capable of transmitting BYTES, which is hindering my accuraccy of information. For example, I want to send a number higher than 255, or I want to send a number of 23.56.

In both of the above situations I end up with errors in the transmitted value. When converting a REAL to BYTE, if the REAL value is 256 then the BYTE value is 1... If I send 23.56 as the REAL value then the BYTE value is 24 as it is rounded up.

Is there anyway I can deconstruct the REAL value and reconstruct later to keep my accuracy?

Thanks

All networks transmit bytes. For your floats, you send the 4 consecutive (or eight for a double) that make up the float, and reassemble them at the receiving end.
Depending on the platform, they might arrive in the correct order, or they might high word/low word swapped, or even backwards, but that depends on your platforms.

All networks transmit bytes. For your floats, you send the 4 consecutive (or eight for a double) that make up the float, and reassemble them at the receiving end.
Depending on the platform, they might arrive in the correct order, or they might high word/low word swapped, or even backwards, but that depends on your platforms.

I'm quite new to this and am having difficulty in actually splitting up the floats (or reals?) in to the 4 consecutive bytes, how would I go about this?

Something like this (syntax not checked):

Code:
VAR
bytARR : ARRAY[0..3] OF BYTE;
ptrValue : POINTER TO REAL;
rValue : REAL;
END_VAR

ptrValue := ADR(bytARR);   
ptrValue^ := rValue;

Thanks LD, that works a treat! :)

Once I have sent these bytes from the array over the CAN network though, how would I reconstruct the number? Is there a reverse of ADR?

To "copy" the array of 4 bytes to a Real var then use
Code:
rValue:=ptrValue^;

Hmm, I'm not sure i follow here. I am sending the array over the CAN network, when it arrives at the its destination, it is still in an array of bytes, I cant seem to copy this array back in to a real value with the method your using, I get conversion type errors