Copyright vs Patent (intellectual property)

You are right about damaging the rotary valve, we had it once where (the usual) "somebody" hit the E-Stop on the panel and did a runner. The next thing we knew of it was that the "insides" had warped! PITA job to replace valve seals and reset the rotary section!

So I assume your initial logging checks plant running time, response time of RTO from "idle temp" to operational temp? You then study this info etc; go back in and add timers etc?

Will you be allowing (eg management) access to some sort of programming for the next weeks production times? How do you allow for a customers emergency Saturday morning production run to get a job out? That could be a potential scenario?

Do you add pulse counters on gas metering etc to cover your backside for companys that WILL say, your system saved us nothing!

Good luck with the business!

Last edited:
timbo_uk said:
You are right about damaging the rotary valve, we had it once where (the usual) "somebody" hit the E-Stop on the panel and did a runner. The next thing we knew of it was that the "insides" had warped! PITA job to replace valve seals and reset the rotary section!

Yeah, the 'stack effect' on the rotary valves is the nightmare scenario. After about 8 hours (with no fans running) the outlets get hot.
fortunately.. if you have compressed air you should be able to manually index them (you can with the pneumatic based Reeco/Durr RL's). If you can then I'd recommend indexing half way around every hour. Look for the hottest section of block and place it on the inlet (and let the stack effect pull it up). Then index 1/2 way each hour.
Of course if the plant has a bunch of sucker fans on, and no isolation damper life will start to really suck quickly.

So I assume your initial logging checks plant running time, response time of RTO from "idle temp" to operational temp? You then study this info etc; go back in and add timers etc?
pretty much so. Typical block ramp rate is 7F/min, so adding a % above that (to be safe) and then a bit of soak time helps to ensure that the unit's don't suffer any low combustion temp alarms/faults when they initially go back online.

Will you be allowing (eg management) access to some sort of programming for the next weeks production times? How do you allow for a customers emergency Saturday morning production run to get a job out? That could be a potential scenario?
Depends how they implement it. With a key switch it's easy, then again with the panelview they can turn off the idle mode with a moments notice and begin the ramp back to online. Typically the customer would know before the unit enters idle mode that they're going to have extra production, so the plant could just adjust the start time accordingly.

Do you add pulse counters on gas metering etc to cover your backside for companys that WILL say, your system saved us nothing!

Good luck with the business!

that's a good question. Most units I've worked on have meters on the ox train, and I've never thought that the companies would alter them. It allows them to monitor consumption. Of course if they don't have any metering devices then one would need to be installed.
The problem then is.. 'how much was saved?' With no history it's tough to get a good estimate. Plus if a customer adds sources and increase the overall air volume the gas consumption would increase. So the base air volume would also need to be taken into consideration.
Thanks for the feedback! I hope to start implementing some of these things soon. My goal is to sell my own units. That would be a dream come true.