Counting Populated Elements In An Array

or, to do it in one step, assuming .LEN can only be either 0 or 16, though less efficiently:
(EM005_STATION5_Robot1OutPuckRFID_FIFO[FAL_L1.POS].LEN/16) + FAL_L1_Total

Not sure why I didn't think of that... I'd take dropping it to a single step over a slight efficiency increase almost any time.

This is a special case, search for zero, of a previous post to use a FAL for searching an array for an arbitrary value. The same advice applies: just because you can does not mean you should.

FAL Zero.png

Is this a more efficient piece of code? little harder to read?
Is good though :)
I strongly advise a comment explaining the code e.g. "Count number of non-empty strings in FIFO [RFIDs/products tracked on conveyor?]; FAL Expression assumes all FIFO string lengths are either 0 or 16"

I don't think that FAL Expression can get any cleaner; I would have code elsewhere (e.g. near the FFL) to enforce the 0-or-16 assumption.

The FAL and TON could be connected to a single XIO.

TL;DR

There are probably a dozen different ways to handle the trigger/timing logic, but I think what you have is pretty easy to understand and read. That said ...

You could perhaps get away without a timer if you used the .EN and .EU bits of the FFL and FFU, respectively, to trigger the FAL.

I suppose the entire process could be on a single rung with one [XIO FAL_Pulse_Timer.DN]: the RES and CLR would be on a branch above the FAL and triggered by an [XIO FAL_L1.EN] in front of them i.e. see untested image below, but that is no more efficient and probably less easy to read than what you have

xxx.png

Last edited:
OT: Agile

Not sure why I didn't think of that...

Interesting statement, and I think the answer to "why" is that this forum often models the agile mindset*:

1. @drbitboy suggested FAL (only because I got there first) with an expression that did not work;
  2. @plvlce asked the key question (constant non-zero length?)
  3. @plvlce got the expression and basic algorithm/math right;
  4. @drbitboy tweaked it a bit from there.
Each step added value, and made the next bit of value easier to see; classic agile.

Others went down the FSC path; it didn't pan out, but that doesn't matter: they felt free to think; and for all we know someone still could yet find more value there.

Agile is a mindset, not a process.

* when it's not modeling an ego war.

This might work, with seven instructions, untested:
FLL 0 counters2 2
LBL counter_loop LES pos 60 BST GRT RFID_ARRAY[pos].len 0 ADD count 1 count NXB ADD pos 1 pos JMP counter_loop BND
  • counters2 is an INT[2]
  • pos is an index into the FIFO, and also an alias for counters2[0]
  • count is the number of non-empty RFITs, and also an alias for counters2[1]

If the strings in AB work anything like standard IEC STRINGs, then the 1st byte contain the max declared length, and the 2nd byte contains the actual length.
So 2nd byte = 0 means the string is empty.

It is much simpler and faster to test if a string is "null" than to computer a string length.
Isn't there an easy test to check if a string is null?

I suppose

EQU RFID_ARRAY[pos] ''
NEQ RFID_ARRAY[pos] ''​
would do it, if strings can be compared, but comparing .len to 0 may be faster, who knows how they implement this stuff.

I suppose

EQU RFID_ARRAY[pos] ''
NEQ RFID_ARRAY[pos] ''​
would do it, if strings can be compared, but comparing .len to 0 may be faster, who knows how they implement this stuff.

Strings can be compared. Since OP specified v21 string literals aren't available however, you'd need to compare to a string tag storing a null.