1734-IB8 has no hardware counting function correct?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
The 1734-IB8 has no hardware counting function correct?

I am trying to find something to substitute in for a 5069-IB16F (since lead times are like June if you believe the lie, and September if you are realistic). So I figured I could do Point IO. (I was also planning on switching all IO to remote IO for this product line anyways so this seems a good excuse to do it.) I don't want to have to have to go to a High Speed counter card as that seems over kill for my application which would see at most 60Hz probably around 30Hz though.

Last edited:
Unless you're considering catching counts during a connection loss, at 30Hz and with an EIP connection, do you really need an onboard counter?

Unless you're considering catching counts during a connection loss, at 30Hz and with an EIP connection, do you really need an onboard counter?
I mean unless my math is off, isn't 30Hz 33mS poll time?, and then wouldn't I need to do half that at the very least to make sure I don't miss any? sounds like 10mS would be safer. But then if I needed to make sure it could handle up to 60Hz I would need a 5mS poll time. Isn't that really pushing it for EIP? I don't think I have ever see anyone in a plant run EIP polling faster than 50mS. But I guess that is PLC to PLC on the Machine network, and not PLC to IO on a local IO network.

If it was EtherCat or something it would probably me no issue.

You are correct that the 1734-IB8 has no onboard counter features. It has a 0.5 ms minimum debounce delay as well.

If you don't want to use an IJ, IK, or VHSC then you could try the 1734-8CFGDLX, which has onboard DeviceLogix that could be used to implement a medium-speed counter.

I was able to count reliably up to about 1000 Hz with a similar CompactBlock I/O module a decade ago, but haven't tested the 1734 module for similar applications. And of course you will need RSNetworx just to get that DeviceLogix editor.