Create Tag Name from File Import - Crimson 3.0

RedLionNewbie

I have a programming issue I am trying to work on in Crimson 3.0. I want to know if it is possible to import text from a file(xls, csv, txt, etc.) either from the network or from the memory card itself and have it display as the text on a button on a page as well as be linked to a data tag. The reason for this question is that I am trying to create a generalized defect tracking page in Crimson and then be able to use that generalized page for multiple machines and not have to program individual buttons for specific defects and tags for each individual machine.

If I need to better clarify, please ask and I will try to answer as best I can. Or if there is another thread that is similar to what I am trying to do, please post to this thread as I have been looking for some time on the internet and this site and have not found out what I needed to make this work if it is possible.

Thanks in advance for the help and stopping by this thread.

Have a good one.

Thanks,
RedLionNewbie

I have a programming issue I am trying to work on in Crimson 3.0. I want to know if it is possible to import text from a file(xls, csv, txt, etc.) either from the network or from the memory card itself and have it display as the text on a button on a page as well as be linked to a data tag. The reason for this question is that I am trying to create a generalized defect tracking page in Crimson and then be able to use that generalized page for multiple machines and not have to program individual buttons for specific defects and tags for each individual machine.

If I need to better clarify, please ask and I will try to answer as best I can. Or if there is another thread that is similar to what I am trying to do, please post to this thread as I have been looking for some time on the internet and this site and have not found out what I needed to make this work if it is possible.

Thanks in advance for the help and stopping by this thread.

Have a good one.

Thanks,
RedLionNewbie

There isn't enough information for me to help you with this except to say that I recommend against trying to use a single page to handle multiple machines.

If the structure of the data and the control functions are all the same - just on different machines - I would recommend setting up a Folder Structure Instance for each machine and then creating a Widget containing all the buttons, text, and data tags that is based on that Folder Structure. Then you can put the widget on multiple pages, with each one bound to a different Folder (machine). You will have to have multiple pages, but the widget will only have to be built once.

If the data structure is different between the machines, neither this nor the method you are considering will work properly.

If this doesn't make sense to you, study widgets and folder binding in the manual.

Thanks JHarbin for the response. What you said makes perfect sense. I just wanted to be sure that there was not a way to simplify the programming I am working on for future expansion to other machines and processes.

I will probably be better off anyways creating a Widget like you stated and go from there.

Thanks,
RedLionNewbie