Crimson 3.1 tag problem with RSLogix5000

Richard Webb

I am having a problem understanding how to assign tags for a simple stop - start push buttons. The Logix 5000 routine to stop and start the pump is all in function blocks. I have used L5K to migrate all the tags to Crimson 3.1.

M6520A On (WATER PUMP 1)
HMI1 PV1:IData(9).8 BOR_12 (In 1)

I find the Tag BOR_12 In1 in the address of all the tags, but it doesn't work when I connect to the PLC.

HMI1 PV1:OData(9).6 SETD_02 (Out)

However, SETD_02 Out I am using as the "RUNNING" indication, that works.

Some help would be much aprreciated.

Tag question

This is what I was trying to paste yesterday, might make more sense.

Water pump 1 stop start.jpg

I'm desperately trying to find out what tags to use to start and stop the pump in Crimson 3.1.

I would have thought so, but, all the tags are migrated from the PLC in a L5K file. There is no such tag in the file, so I can't use a tag that is not in the tag file. Unless there is a way to do it that I am unaware of.

Hence my request for help.

Haven't used Logix 500, but had a quick 'play'. Rather than go to Data Tags and trying to select there, instead click on the PLC in the Communications section. There is a button there that allows you to Manage the Tags, and you can create Tags there.
Might be worth contacting Redlion Tech Support, they are usually pretty good.
https://support.redlion.net/hc/en-us
See if there is a Tech Note that helps you, otherwise Submit a Request.

I also noticed that there were three different L5K drivers that import tags, try one of the others and see if it gets it right then.

Last edited:
I contacted RedLion, they were unable to help much. They know all about RedLion, but nothing about Allen Bradley software. Still in a pickle. What I find strange is, I can see the tags in the L5K file, but they don't appear in crimson 3.1 tag list. Really stuck, if I can't get it to work, will have to use Allen Bradley HMI's, and I already have the 5 RedLion HMI's, I will not be popular.

Lets make sure that you did the import of the LSK file correctly and that you then mapped those to Redlion tags. I didn't search long enough to find a version for Crimson 3.1, but hey, I have to leave you with some stuff to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9lTaNCZzA
Then maybe you could tell us which AB driver you choose to use, and if all else fails, tell us if you tried the method I described for adding tags through the comms menu.

And maybe you cold tell me where you managed to buy Redlion HMIs, some I Ordered last November aren't expected till next November. If you can't get the system to work, and those are Graphite 7" Outdoor HMIs, let me know, would be happy to purchase them from you :)

Last edited:
Firstly, at home at the moment, but will try the remapping the tags later. Secondly, not sure what you mean by "which AB Driver" I'm using? Thirdly, I ordered all the 7" CR1000 HMI's last year around October. I got two immediately and was promised the other 4 before Christmas. That didn't happen, then the delivery date just kept moving. I get all my RedLion gear from Digital Controls. Tim is the owner. I can't blame him for the delay, I know it's RedLion. However, he has loaned me a further two HMI's. Now I might be able to help you with 1 Graphite 7". Not sure how many you require.

I will persevere, I really don't want to go the PanelView route. I don't like Allen Bradley at all. I have Factory Talk, still trying to avoid it.

Thanks for your input so far.

I looked at the panel being connected by the Ethernet port, and for that there are 3 different versions of the driver that use the L5K file method, see attached. As I said, I don't use AB so I have no idea which is which, or why.

AB Ethernet drivers.JPG

I don't like Allen Bradley at all, although I've worked with it a long time. I did try DF1 Master at first, but it's difficult to assign the tags to the PLC, very long winded.
What PLC do you normally use?

Found this tech note:
https://support.redlion.net/hc/en-u...rimson-3-x-Enhanced-Allen-Bradley-L5K-Support
https://www.redlion.net/sites/default/files/Crimson - Enhanced Allen Bradley L5K Support.pdf

See NOTE 1 : Direct IO access is not possible, use an alias.
Could that be the problem?
It also gives information on how to access arrays.

I haven't ever needed to go beyond 'small' PLCs, so in the past it was the Siemens S7-200, now it is the replacement for that, the S7-1200. For even simpler jobs I go with a smart relay, generally the Moeller Easy range, which is now the Eaton Easy range. Many many years ago I used the Mitsubishi range of PLCs, the software ran in DOS on Windows 95 :)

Just to confirm, the HMIs that I need do have to be the outdoor version, G07S0000. At the moment I need six and have one with another one I hope to grab from a customer who was planning an upgrade to a system, and changed their mind.

I will get back to the grindstone in the morning when I'm at work. All my jobs I've designed and implemented myself has been with Mitsubishi. Love it, The HMI's are so easy to set up with the Mitsi PLC. Bloody hate Allen Bradley, doesn't make sense. So, one Graphite 7" not going to help??

One HMI definitely would help :) Is it new new stock, old new stock, or used stock?

You do have to be aware with the Redlin HMIs that they don't have as much stuff built-in as other manufacturers, you have to program a lot of it yourself. A simple 'for instance' it doesn't automatically know a screen number for the current screen, you have to create a variable, and then modify the variable as a screen is displayed. It doesn't have a recipe system as standard, they will send you an example done with the scripting language, or you can write your own from scratch. So expect your first programming experience to be a bit time consuming, but once you create your own libraries on the first job, you just use them again on the next.
Having said that they do have stuff built-in that others don't. And their ability to take data from various sources, simply, is excellent.

The scripting language is sort of based on 'C' and is very powerful.

The Graphite 7" I have is a demo. I also have an Eaton PLC with a lot of bits, I'll give you all the model numbers in a minute. Those I definitely don't need, might be you could have a use for them. Not new models.