D06 out of box problems?

I've been using AD PLCs on the majority of our machines for a few years now. So far, I've sampled the entire line except the DL305 series. Since the DL06 is relatively new, I've probably only used a dozen or so. Of those, I've had one D0-06DD2 that failed. Here's what I wrote at the AD forum:
  • "I did have an output fail on one DL06 shortly after we shipped to the customer. It would not reliably close with a 0.2 second pulse. This PLC has become my 'shop' PLC.

It has one other weird characteristic. If I disconnect an HMI connected to port 1 at 9600 baud (the only speed for port 1) to connect my laptop, that port suddenly switches to 300 baud. I know because if I auto-detect, it connects at 300 baud. If I power cycle the PLC, it goes back to 9600. It does the same thing when I reconnect the HMI (and of course, the HMI can no longer communicate)
    "
I'm not positive whether the output itself was defective, or if it was damaged from the field device. In this case, that output was driving an AD brand card relay module, which has diodes built-in for spike supression. To be safe, I had the customer replace the PLC AND the relay module. When I got the PLC back, I tested the output on a new relay, and the output still failed to operate properly.

I actually wish the output had failed 'out of the box', rather than waiting until the machine had shipped to Missouri... :rolleyes:

IMO, poor Arik is simply having a string of bad luck. Unfortunately, since Arik is a new AD user, this makes AD look really bad... :(

beerchug

-Eric

No problems at all.

I have had no problems with these at all. The first time I used one was approximately two years ago. I remember being very cynical, because the application was very demanding, and in a very harsh enviroment. Due to the shoe string budget on the project, and other factors this PLC was chosen for the job. Since the completion it has been running twenty four hours a day seven days a week. I have started using more and more of these with similar results. :)

Big Al.

It seems that I am the only one with this kind of problems.
I am about to place new P.O to AD.My hand is shaking.
Even with this problems AD is cheaper then the others and suitable.from the other side the inconvenience when you have this kind of problems.
Iam the only one or it is just bad luck?
I think I will give them one more chance.
I will sign on the order and pray.

Arik,

I would think you are having a string of bad luck. I have been using AD for many years now and have only had one 105 go bad, and that is because the enclosure filled with water in a fire.

As of this date I haven't had any 06's go bad. Do not loose hope or confidence in their products, they really do make a good plc.

I had some problems with ADC (AutomationDirect.com) DL-205 analog inputs a few years ago, but that seems to have gone away. I speculate that they had some kind of weakness that they designed or QC'd away.

I had one bad analog input on the DL-05 a long time back, when they just came out. Other than that, almost no problems.

Overall I have had no more or fewer problems with ADC than any other PLC supplier, and I've been using them since they were PLC-Direct and Tim Holman would answer the phone himself. On the rare occassions when I had a problem, there was no screwing around or "return and we'll check it out" or wasted time. I called them, they sent the new one, we sent the old one back, and no money changed hands.

Everybody has problems. I judge a supplier by how fast they fix the problem. ADC is in the top tier with that.