Data Acquistion Software Suggestions

Even though it is a lab environment and not a manufacturing process, I would still recommend a SCADA package like I/Gear or Iconics. With I/Gear especially you would have the flexibility to add more sensors, change schedules, change data destination, etc.

On the data storage side, I would also recommend a true database like Microsoft SQL Server Express. It's free and has much more capability than Excel.

Agreed - a true DBMS is much better than a spreadsheet. SQL Server Express has some serious limitations like 2 GB databases, but could suit your needs. MySQL is a good free database system.

mikeatwell said:
On the data storage side, I would also recommend a true database like Microsoft SQL Server Express. It's free and has much more capability than Excel.

surferb said:
MySQL is a good free database system.

Nathan, could you clarify something for me? I thought that if you used MySql for commercial purposes, i.e. as part of a system you are selling to someone else, you had to pay for a license ($600?). I'm not sure if it is the same if you just using it in your own plant and don't plan on selling it. What is your experience?

You can use the GPL version (community) for commercial applications, but can't resell it (software, not service) to your customers. I can't think of a case where you couldn't legally install/run the application.

There are implications if you get into modifying the source code, specifically if you want to distribute a compiled application that includes their source. If your application is open source (GPL/LGPL, etc) then you're OK, but you need to pay for distribution of a proprietary app in this case.

I'm not 100% familiar with all the details of their dual use license, nor am I an attorney, but I'm pretty sure that my description is accurate.

S7Guy said:
Nathan, could you clarify something for me? I thought that if you used MySql for commercial purposes, i.e. as part of a system you are selling to someone else, you had to pay for a license ($600?). I'm not sure if it is the same if you just using it in your own plant and don't plan on selling it. What is your experience?

Last edited: