Data Logging with AB PLC's

Thanks again.
Looking at that document and the AB file, im assuming with this you cant create your web page for showing line grpahs of the data? I think this is what you stated, that the add-on module did provide, but the built in did not?

Let me ask you this:
The data being logged, lets say Volts;
Does this get stored as a word? Can I have decimals, or will it only accept whole numbers?

Well the deciaml is the last thing im really worried about. 480.5VAC is the same as 480VAC if you ask me.. and the customer wont care if the decimal is missing.
We use the Multitek M802: http://www.multitek-ltd.com/
Under Products, Meters, LCD Power Meter with RS485.
Typically we would take the two wire output into a B&B Rs485/232 converter, then thte standard AB cable into the PLC.

In the past, the customer would just attach straight to the meter and log the data real-time. This will be the first case where we will store if for the customer, then after the testing, he will hook up to the PLC and download.

Looks like the DataLogReader.EXE from AB will pull the info exactly as needed.
However, im trying to keep the one-stop-shop for acquring the data, can the values in the DataLogReader program, such as Data1, Data2 etc, be changed to tags I want- such as Amps, Volts etc?
Can this be done in the PLC, or would it have to be done in the EXE file?

Yes, headings/headers for the columns of data.
According the the user manual, the data is formatted as :
<date><UDS><time><UDS><1st Data><UDS><2nd Data)... etc
What I need, is the "1st data" to be labeled "VOLTS A". If that can be done in the PLC itself, thats where id like to do it. Im assuming, by just looking at the GetDataLog.EXE that I can not change the info in the program. Plus once its downloaded to the program, Thats where we want to wash our hands of it. A heading of 1ST Data, will mean nothing to the customer.

NH

How soon are you going to need this? I think we can deal with this and am having to do the same thing myself. Not planning on getting to it until the first week in March. Can you wait that long?

The unit ships Mar 20, so I have some time. I thinking of writing my own program to pull the data and format it automatically.. Just dont know if my workload allows me the time to figure t out, write and test it!
Anything you can provide will be great, I look forward to what you find.

NH

I've got to do it sometime before the end of the first week of March so I might as well finish it up. I'll try to get it done this weekend and I will post my progress

TW

I'd be interested to see what you come up with TW. Have a 1100 coming in Monday and this is the first time I've ever had to do any Data Logging, going to use the datalog reader from Rockwell to start with. But I am always interested in how to do something different.:D

Just another thought:
Will any of this require RSLinx? If it can be done with RSLinx Lite, great, if it requires Single Node or higher, that might be an issue. The customer doesnt have RS Linx.
NH