DC Mentor II 6M7.5

blima

Hi!

I have this DC drive that trips with the fault: Field Loss. I have check and the field current is fine and respective voltage. DC motor is also fine. I assume it is a fault on the drive itself.

I saw on the manual that is possible to disable the detection of field. I introduce the level 1 and level 2 security codes but I do not know how to access the 187 parameter to disable the field detection circuit! The parameter index of the drive has only two digit leds! So how can I access and parameter superior to 99?

Thanks,
Bruno

I've experienced field losses before. Its always been a worn stator. The motor needs to be took down and pressure washed, the armature reset, basically an overhaul. What happens is fine shavings from various components begin to short out and pull down your field inside. It can take some punishment but not much. You can always prove out with a like motor. What the drive is telling you is there is too much current going into the stator to try to maintain a working DC field.

Disable field loss trip is actually parameter [10.29]. You will want to set it to 1.

I also concur with SpaceAce. Do some maintenance on your motor. Service the brushes. I would normally only disable field loss on a permanent magnet motor. The drive is trying to tell you something is wrong.

Hi,

I have monitored the current and its stable at 700mA to the field. The brushes and motor have been revised.

I was able to access the parameters and the only one that I can not change is the #187, which is the field detecting circuit. When I put it in 1, after trying several times by pushing the up button, it comes back to 0. All the other parameters I was able to change them and stayed on the pretend value. I assume that I have a problem on the EEPROM.

I think the only solution is to buy a new one!

Thanks,
Bruno

Hi,

I have monitored the current and its stable at 700mA to the field. The brushes and motor have been revised.

I was able to access the parameters and the only one that I can not change is the #187, which is the field detecting circuit. When I put it in 1, after trying several times by pushing the up button, it comes back to 0. All the other parameters I was able to change them and stayed on the pretend value. I assume that I have a problem on the EEPROM.

I think the only solution is to buy a new one!

Thanks,
Bruno

There is no parameter #187. There is a 1.87 but that is not what you are looking for. Parameter 10.29 is the correct one.

On the manual that I have, it has the "187 parameter. Perhaps we are talking about different generation of drives. Nevertheless the intention is to disable the field loss tripping that I can not accomplish in the software. It keeps bouncing back to zero!

Regards,
Bruno

I have experienced field loss trip with everything appearing to be fine.Turned out the drive wanted the exact field current set into it.Set any higher it would read the actual current as too low and reports field loss.

On the manual that I have, it has the "187 parameter. Perhaps we are talking about different generation of drives. Nevertheless the intention is to disable the field loss tripping that I can not accomplish in the software. It keeps bouncing back to zero!

Regards,
Bruno

Either the drive you have isn't what you say it is, or you have the wrong manual.

This is the manual for the Mentor II

http://www.controltech.com.tr/Documents/Mentor/MentorUG Iss14.pdf

Parameter #187 was for the old Mentor I drives.

Which do you have? the I or the II?

Hi,

I have the Mentor I! Sorry for the error.

Do you have the manual in pdf format for this type of drive?

I have it only in paper.

Thanks,
Bruno

Hi,

I have it only in paper.

Thanks,
Bruno

I have a PDF of the manual, but it is a photo-copy. It is too big to attach here (around 4 meg). If you want it PM an email address.

Back to your problem.

By default, #187 is actually controlled by a digital input (Terminal 18) on your drive vi #67. So ..... you have two choices, you can either change #67 to some other parameter other than #187 so that you can change #187 with the keypad, or you can tie terminal 18 high.

Let us know how you make out.

Also, remember to that to save a parameter change you must set #150 to a 1, wait three seconds, and then press the reset button. Otherwise you will lose the setting when cycling power.

Hi,

I have it only in paper.

Thanks,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Here you can download Mentor I manual (4MB):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/egbhsl

Mentor I and Mentor II are obsolete. The new drive is Mentor MP and, depending of the application, this is not fully compatible or need special cards.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hello!

Thanks very much for the manual. It has more information of the card descriptions!

I will post the results of these problem.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Regards,
Bruno

Hi!

We have solved the problem changing the drive. We have bought a refurbished drive, changed the burden resistors, links position and links from the transformer and now the machine is working.

We have passed also the parameters from the old unit.

Thanks for the manual and inputs. It had help me a lot!

Regards,
Bruno

Mentor 1 Field loss #187

Dear team,

Ihave faced the same matter in one of my MENTOR 1 DC drive. it shows 118 error (Field loss) Checked the motor and the field current as well.
i could not find anything unusaul that may drive to this error. Since my drive is old about 15 years i though that this might be an error inside the drive.
What i did was removed the field loss tripping ( #187 put to 1) from the drive and after that my DC motor is working properly.
Also i got this error while i am trying to run my motor on inch function,means in very slow speed.

What i need to know is will this may cause any harm to my DC motor? At the time i dont have any spare drive for replace in my factory. Please advice me asap guys.:oops::oops: