dc motor+drive / ac motor+drive power saving

Kataeb

Hy guys, between a dc motor+drive and an ac motor+drive, which one has better power factor? Which has more energy savings? Has anyone approximate figures that show the power consumption difference between the two. Thank you

Well, as usual, it depends. In North America, using a modern Premium Efficiency AC motor, you can expect about 7% better efficiency with AC.

Exactly how that translates to Lebanon, I don't know, but you should expect at least 5% better efficiency with the AC system.

Don't forget the huge difference in motor maintenance costs over the years.

I think on the drive end as well, between cables losses and losses in the electronics, DC drives tend to have more waste heat. I am not 100% certain of this, but it is something I have noticed.