DCS and SCADA thru OPC Interface..server or client..??!!

ramzy2277

Hi all,

I got involved recently in a oil and gas Pipeline project, we have 5 DCS at each tank farm and a SCADA to monitor the dispatch and reciept of the pipelines,we have an OPC interface between the DCS and SCADA at each of the 5 locations,we are still at the design stage ,now how to decide which one should be Master and Client in this OPC interface.....shall the DCS be server and the SCADA be the client of vice versa , what are the pros and cons for each scenario plz advise

Greetings,

What you are asking for:

"OPC interface between the DCS and SCADA"

Speaks of an OPC server. The primary purpose of the server is to connect devices (DCS) with clients (SCADA). So, we are actually talking about a third component.

We are a distributor for Kepware's KepserverEX OPC server. KepserverEX offers many device drivers that enable for interface between the device and client software. Here is a list of available driver suites:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepwaredownloads.htm

What device drivers will you be using or have access to from your DCS devices?

It isn't as much that the connection is a master/slave configuration, but rather a managed connection whereby the server acts as the "traffic cop".

More information about KepserverEX is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepserverex.htm

Should you have any questions regarding additional plug-in features or other products associated with KepserverEX, feel free to contact me by pm or the email link found in my signature.

The following link provides additional information regarding establishing a reliable and robust industrial network:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/synergies-reliable_network.htm

Disclosure - Eternity Sales is a Kepware distributor.

thanks stephan ,

our SCADA vendor are TELVENT and we have DCS from ABB,EMERSON,INVENSYS,AND HONEYWELL.......still my question wasnt answered.....how to decide whose OPC server and who is OPC client in this interface....?....our SCADA vendor requests to be the OPC server....and any other system connected to it to be the client.

Hello,

The system with the data is the server. The systems that want the data are the clients.

thanks mark,

also i got a question since this is my first OPC interface to make, but i already made the IO list for the DCS now my question how these tags will be refelected on SCADA, do i have to make similar IO list on SCADA, or the OPC interface will take care of that....plz i need ur advise urgently....