Degree v. Experience

Making progress! The good and bad news is that your resume needs work.

My 3 cents (inflation!):

- Just one line for education, school, BS, date

- A short 1-2 lines description of the company. ie.
ABC Company, a privately owned automation integrator with 10 million in revenue.

- I echo what other said about the experience section. I would start over from scratch. With your experience, yor resume should be a full two pages. List specific accomplishments. You need to get an updated resume book. Your format is 15 years out of date.

- The resume seems a bit unfocused and make you seems unsure of what your goal is. Make your resume more targeted toward the job you WANT. Have 2-3 version of it available.

good luck.

Also I like to add, instead of getting a A.S.; A certification like PE or ISA's Tech certification is much more valued, IMO

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, points well taken, looks like I should re-think it. I wrote it over 2 years ago (just added recent work experience) when LMS went out of business.

While LMS made custom automation assembly and test equipment, i.e. we didn't make 2 or 3 different machines 100 times, we made 100 different machines 2 or 3 times, which is the reasoning behind "vast experience" for programming since all the programs were unique, some with HMI, some with Servo, all with SLC 500 or Micrologix. I get it...more detail like this. Plus I was able to standardize most of the panels to save design time/$.

I'll do some research on a new version and see what you think.

I have used zebra printers. Can you answer communications questions, commands, protocol, actual logic to print in the right location?
Perhaps, though I do not write the program sending the data to the printer, is there a specific question? I am more involved with the parameter setup up the printer settings themselves, which perhaps sounds trivial, though most of the maintenance personnel I encounter in my travels have trouble grasping it, which is why I added it.

Originally posted by Clay B
1) You list Soldering as a job skill. IF you have any electrical experience this is a pretty much asuumed skill.
1)
I had a soldering class in high school and in the military and in 30 plus years in industry I can honestly say I have seen very few who can solder.

To scalelar:
Totally agree with you. Had classes on soldering/de-soldering and surface mount soldering too during high-school period. And its not half as good when I entered the working industries. Practice makes perfect. Good soldering skills brings good quality work. A skill that I would look at when I do interview. Recently hired a few new grads and I have to attach them to older staff to have their soldering skills polished.

@jtteresinski

Dress up your resume and be patient. It took me six months to find the job that I wanted (which I start on my birthday next week!).

During those six months, I got little to no "nibbles" until about two months ago when six companies/recruiters seemed to discover me all at the same time. :confused:

Unlike you, I *want* to travel, so I didn't even consider jobs that would have me cooped up in an office/factory. There seems to be quite a few positions out there for plant support, give it time.

I also have no degree, but I offset that with a whole heck of a lot of gray in my beard. :ROFLMAO:

And actually, you do have a degree, which I would list in my resume. If nothing else, it shows that you have the discipline to finish what you have started.

Oddly enough, having *any* sort of degree can end up being the deal maker when it comes to getting the job. I ended up losing out to a guy for a job because he had a degree in psychology. Go figure.

Just curious, any recommendations for job search sites that actually land you a job? I got mine the old-fashioned way, a buddy recommended me for the job. (y)

to Clay .B , I think you are not right in everything, for me your words look like when you a guest in your house , then he is coffing , then you say to your familyb listen all of you , you have to be careful this guy might have cancer or aid , remember if i review your resume i will teach you how many mistakes i can pick up , life is more easy and people acting like you make it very complicated , thanx

Huh??? What does my house and a cup of coffee have to do with anything? Guy asked for reviews of his resume. I reviewed it and told him what I saw from my perspective.

If someone found errors in my resume or ways I could write it better that would be helpful. Kinda thought that is what the poster was looking for. He did post "take a look at this and tell me what you think".

Originally posted by Clay B
1)
I had a soldering class in high school and in the military and in 30 plus years in industry I can honestly say I have seen very few who can solder.

Yes, I have seen people struggle with soldering myself. It takes the correct setup for what you are doing and pratice. My point was instead of saying you can solder why not say something you can do that people are really looking for. My point is that you could use the space to talk about another skill. I will bet more than a few bucks that your other skills are way more important than your soldering skills.

Last edited: