Design of a traffic light controller using plcs

rsdoran said:
I have no idea what you were rambling about. You were told where you could go for references, i.e do a Search on this site.

You were told how you could display your work so everyone here could view it.

It was explained, somewhat harshly at times, but nevertheless explained that people here will help but will not do your homework for you.

That means you must make an effort. Use the references you find on this site to create a program of your own.

It also helps if you provide all the information pertaining to the situation i.e. what software will be used to do the plc programming?

Look at my signature, you need to be INVOLVED to understand.

right flag wrong person.....

10BaseT. said:
right flag wrong person.....

Noted and modified, knew Ismail was not the OP which my post was directed towards, but did not come out that way.

As for the traffic light program, I hate it, BUT it does offer a way to learn different instructions and how they work.

It offers a simple solution to show results i.e. just a few lights on the outputs.

Offers the option of being expandable i.e start with 3 lights, add turn lane(s), crosswalks and associated pushbuttons, different schedules for different times of day, sensors to detect traffic flow, etc.

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
I have no idea what you were rambling about. The OP was told where to go for references, i.e do a Search on this site.

It was explained how to display the work so everyone here could view it.

It was explained, somewhat harshly at times, but nevertheless explained that people here will help but will not do the homework.

That means anyone must make an effort. Use the references found on this site to create a program, then show that program so others may assist if there may be areas where there are issues or not understood.

It also helps if all the information pertaining to the situation i.e. what software will be used to do the plc programming.

Ok what did i say, i think you may have misunderstood me.

Greetings,

From my observations, questions on this forum about learning PLC programming and installing new processes and factories are tending to come from "third-world" countries, where the questions from first-tier countries tend to be about maintaining existing equipment.

Slowly, we are transferring our technical knowledge from high-labor rate environments to low-labor rate areas. Uncomfortable, but inevitiable.

Lancie1 said:
Greetings,

From my observations, questions on this forum about learning PLC programming and installing new processes and factories are tending to come from "third-world" countries, where the questions from first-tier countries tend to be about maintaining existing equipment.

Slowly, we are transferring our technical knowledge from high-labor rate environments to low-labor rate areas. Uncomfortable, but inevitiable.

That's what free trade does. It ensures that YOU TOO can enjoy the same fine standard of living as a hardworking person in China, Honduras or Guatemala.

plc_padawan said:
That's what free trade does. It ensures that YOU TOO can enjoy the same fine standard of living as a hardworking person in China, Honduras or Guatemala.

LOL, took me a second, good one.

plc_padawan said:
I agree that if factories get moved to the lowest-cost country (a given fact whether trade is taxed or not), then everyone else should be able to at least enjoy the resulting low-cost goods without also paying an import tax.

Traffic lights, so easy a caveman can do it.

I wanted to test this theory but as it turns out I don't have any cavemen around. I had to settle for a 19 year old business major. I didn't even define the problem. I left that to the business major. It took him about 15 minutes without any help.

He made for steps for:
1 GREEN NS RED EW 15 sec
2 YELLOW NS RED EW 5 sec
3 RED NS GREEN EW 15 sec
4 RED NS YELLOW EW 5 sec

I think the PLC students that ask for help on programming traffic lights should be embarrassed.

Peter Nachtwey said:
I wanted to test this theory but as it turns out I don't have any cavemen around.
I'm sure that if a caveman was available, his solution would have been equally well thawed-out.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Define your project first, then start programming!

The hardest part of an automation project is defining what you need the system to do. Write it out. Flow chart it. Draw State Logic diagrams. Whatever it takes to define your process -- THEN you start programming.

Peter -- would your 19yo business major be interested in a programming career. We're desperately looking for help.... ;)