Devicenet communications

Jayp

I have a new install with a slc 5/03 and devicenet scanner. The network only has 1 node, a numatics valve bank. Is a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD the only way to bridge onto the network or is there another way that might be easier to configure only 1 node. Thanks

1747sdnpt

Configure RSLinx Classic to connect to the SLC-5/03 over DH485 or DF1 Full Duplex, then configure a "Passthrough" DeviceNet driver, specifically the 1747SDNPT driver.

The RSLinx Classic Help file and the 1747-SDN installation manual help with the M0/M1 file configuration and other steps necessary to get the Passthrough driver working correctly.

The "Passthrough" drivers for PLC and SLC scanners are a lot slower than a direct (-KFD or -PCD) or ControlLogix bridge interface, but they don't cost extra and are fine for a small system.

Ken Roach said:
Configure RSLinx Classic to connect to the SLC-5/03 over DH485 or DF1 Full Duplex, then configure a "Passthrough" DeviceNet driver, specifically the 1747SDNPT driver.

The RSLinx Classic Help file and the 1747-SDN installation manual help with the M0/M1 file configuration and other steps necessary to get the Passthrough driver working correctly.

The "Passthrough" drivers for PLC and SLC scanners are a lot slower than a direct (-KFD or -PCD) or ControlLogix bridge interface, but they don't cost extra and are fine for a small system.

Passthrough only works with above x.xx fw in the scanner (cant remember the fw number at present) so if its a new scanner it will probably be fine, if its an old scanner then check as it may not work.

edit: found it 4.015 or later

passthrough.jpg

Last edited:
Knowbase Answer ID # 6944 has the details on the configuration of the 1747-SDNPT driver in RSLinx Classic. This information is also in the Online Help for RSLinx.

The firmware revisions and M0/M1 file size settings are:
361 elements for Rev 4.015, 4.026 and 5.01
395 elements for Rev 6.02 or higher

I know of a bug in version 8.02 of the 1747-SDN firmware that will fault the CPU if there is nothing connected to the DeviceNet and you perform a browse. Solution: connect power and slave devices to the DeviceNet you are trying to access.