DeviceNet-Powerflex 70 VFD

MarvelJoe872

Hi there,

I have above mentioned VFD which is communicating to my control logix(L62) plc using devicenet DNB scanner(plc side) and 20-comm-D card on VFD side. I have Commands going out and statuses being read to/from PLC. Unfortunately over deviceNet I have limited status i can receive. My client needs to get the amperage feedback in the HMI. Which is not supported by my VFD over devicenet. I am trying to figure out a way just like I can access all VFD parameters from Rsnetworx software if there is a way to somehow(indirect way) get the live amperage feedback from VFD.

Thanks for you time and help.

1. These statuses i can get over devicenet which does not include amps
1714612286318.png

2. I am looking to get this parameter(ID-3) which is accessible through Rsnetworx:
1714612470181.png

You can pass 4 Data links (A, B, C, D) to and from the drive via a 20-Comm-D. You just need to make sure the devicenet scanner table for the PF70 is set up for the 16 bit status/reference and 16 bit Datalinks. Then link output current to one of the Datalinks.

DataLinks have been a thing in Rockwell VFD's since the mid-1990s with the 1336 Plus on RIO networking.

You need a medium understanding of RSNetworx for DeviceNet, and the PowerFlex 70 and 20-COMM-D module configuration parameters, to add them to the I/O scan without re-mapping the existing logic. The technique is called "segmented mapping".

Another alternative is to set up a MSG instruction to periodically read that parameter from the PowerFlex drive. That gets overwhelming if you have a large number of them and you should take the time to modify the I/O connection, but it's easy for just one device.

Off the top of my head you just select the Get Attribute Single command in your MSG instruction, then choose the Class, Instance, and Attribute. Get out the 20-COMM-D user manual for those.

You can use the DPI Parameter object (Class 0x93, Instance = Parameter Number, Attribute = 0x09 or 0x0A).

Or you can use the simpler Parameter Object (Class 0x015, Instance = Parameter Number, Attribute = 0x01).

That is what I needed to know and have it working now. Thanks for your help.

I ran into an issue with communication path but was able to figure out from other forms.(When we hit browse it just shows available devices so I selected DNB1 in my case, and then have to specify network port(2) seems like generic, and then node number of device(59). LOOK AT 2nd SNIPSHOT.

Attaching snip shots to help anyone who might need it.

1. Config screen:
1714777171293.png

2. Communication path:
1714777273824.png