Devicenet Scanner Error 80 idle mode

blueberry

Hi all,

Our cell was running ok then our scanner dropped out with error 80 idle mode.
We got it running again but not sure what is causing it to error out. Has anyone seen similar issue? What could cause devicenet scanner to go into idle mode?

What model of DeviceNet Scanner do you have ?

In general, the RUN bit must be set = 1 to put the scanner into RUN mode. Check your controller logic for that output bit to see if there are logical conditions that will set it to zero.

The RUN bit is always Bit 0 of the first word of the Output image, in PLC-5/SLC500 controllers. It's literally the labeled ".RUN" output bit in the named tags for a ControlLogix family scanner.

Most projects don't try to control the RUN bit at all, and just set it to 1 at all times.

We are using 1747 scanner type. The rack has 2 scanner cards, they were working fine.
Now one of them kept going into idle mode. We do have the first bit to one in ladder logic.
We have to switch the key to program then back to run to make it run. Any thoughts what could goes wrong?

Might be some power fluctuation either with the Devicenet Scanner card or its network power supply. Maybe loose connnections.
Maybe their is logic like a circuit breaker or 24vdc that drops it out of run mode until either maint investigates or an operator gives it a reset.

If the Devicenet run bit is not programmed and there was a program reset, the bit would clear. I doubt someone would not program this bit to be on.