DeviceNet Tag Generator

Joho

I am on a job trying to run the devicenet tag generator for a small project. I am getting the strangest problem. When the tag generator runs, it shows nothing but the left most check boxes with their blue boxed descriptions next to them. It doesn't open up the file browser to pick the project!

It gets stranger. On every 10 to 20 tries of opening the tag generator program the file browser appears in the lower right corner. But it's cut off, sometimes about halfway, sometimes about 90%. It just never shows up in full. We can kind of get through the steps when it shows up, but I'm not sure I'm picking the right files/items.

About 80% of the way through this "blind" process, it starts complaining that my RS Networx is not properly licensed. And it most definitely IS properly licensed and perfectly visible in the Activation Manager.

Has anyone seen this before? If so, how do you fix it? I was at this plant 6 months ago and never had any of this trouble. Did I install something that makes this tag generator go bonkers?

I tried re-installing tag generator on 3 different machines to no avail.

Thanks
Joho

What version? What version of Studio and RSL5K do you have installed? What version of RSLinx? What software have you installed since you last saw the software work correctly? Have you done a virus check? Have you scanned for malware?

Hi all,

We managed to fix this by installing DN tag generator on the plant's computer. For whatever reason, it worked there. Just to follow up, though... Both my laptop and plant computer had FTView 8.00.00. Both had RSLogix 19, but my laptop also had versions 16-18, and 20. Laptop RSLinx was 3.60. Not sure about the plant computer, but it was very likely an earlier version. I'm not sure if I installed any new Rockwell software on my laptop since it worked. I did install Indusoft Web Studio though.

We also tried installing DN tag generator on two other laptops, neither of which ever had it. They both suffered the same problem. Now, just as a summary:

1. The plant computer on which it worked: Windows 7 Pro SP1, 32 bit
2. My laptop on which it didn't work (even after removal and clean install): Windows 7 Pro SP1, 32 bit
3. Other laptop on which it didn't work: Windows 7 Pro SP1, 32 bit
4. Yet another laptop on which it didn't work: Windows 8.1 (not sure of SP), 64 bit. This one had NO Rockwell software on it previously.

All computers were scanned for viruses/malware, etc. and up to date on protection against such. We dug up some Rockwell docs that seemed to imply that installation of various newer versions of Rockwell software can mess up DNet tag generator. From what I can tell, there is no such thing as a patch for this. It's frustrating, to say the least, to discover this when plant personnel are hovering over your shoulder to get things going.

Thanks jstolaruk for your reply. I don't know how this post will help anyone in the future, but hopefully it will. I'd still be interested to hear any possible solutions.

Joho said:
...it starts complaining that my RS Networx is not properly licensed...

Joho,

You never mentioned which version of RSNetWorx it threw an error against?

If they are all running RSNetWorx v21.00, then this particular version does not support the DeviceNet Tag Generator, at all. Once RSNetWorx v21.01 is installed, it is supported, but you must then be running DeviceNet Tag Generator v21 to lock step compatibility. If the plant computer upon which it works is RSNetWorx pre v21.00 or is v21.01, then this may explain why it works...

525014 - DeviceNet Tag Generator Tool Error- Copy Protection for RSNetWorx Not Found
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Ok. If you do upgrade to v21.01, and it works, do please return and let us know, thanks!

G.