DeviceNet to Ethernet Migration

DenZ_P

Hello Experts,

I would like to post a question about migrating DeviceNet to Ethernet. No change in PLC and number of IOs. Just network migration.

Below are the devices in my structure:
  • CompactLogix 5335 AB 1769-L35E
  • Comm Interface Devicenet Allen-Bradley 1769-SDN
  • I/O Comm Interface, POINT I/O 1734 - ADN
  • Gateway DeviceNet, SY3000, SMC EX510

What are the things that i need to consider?

Thanks!

Some random thoughts:

Always use Unicast unless a device doesn't support it. When you add devices to the tree, this will be on the connection tab. Depending on your CompactLogix firmware revision, this may or may not be the default setting.

Always start with devices set to Auto Baud rate.

The L35E has a built in web page with some handy diagnostics if you are having trouble with Ethernet connections. Go there first before messing with any settings.

To add to what doctord said, also look at the topology. Devicenet is pretty much a linear topology and Ethernet usually exists as a star topology. You may need to place your switch(es) carefully to avoid going over 300' with the Ethernet cables.

Some random thoughts:

Always use Unicast unless a device doesn't support it. When you add devices to the tree, this will be on the connection tab. Depending on your CompactLogix firmware revision, this may or may not be the default setting.

Always start with devices set to Auto Baud rate.

The L35E has a built in web page with some handy diagnostics if you are having trouble with Ethernet connections. Go there first before messing with any settings.

Hello dmroeder,

Thanks for this! This will be very helpful in the migration.

consider length of the runs of the Device Net that you are replacing. You may have to use fiber optics.

Hello doctord,

Length will not be an issue the PLC and IO network will be installed in one control panel only. I will be migrating a machine compact modular type system. So everything is in control panel. Thanks for this i will keep this in mind.

To add to what doctord said, also look at the topology. Devicenet is pretty much a linear topology and Ethernet usually exists as a star topology. You may need to place your switch(es) carefully to avoid going over 300' with the Ethernet cables.

Hello Shawn,

Can you site a situation which will cause an issue about putting the switch in a wrong location? Also as i have responded with doctord everything will be installed in one control panel. So length will not be an issue.

I think better question to clear out the answer that im looking for is that which Ethernet devices i should use in replacement of the current devicenet devices installed?