DH+ to SLC 5/04 Old PC Busted!!!!

Hi Guys,

Not up to speed in some of the older Rockwell hardware so here it goes

I have a really old PC running RSview V6.1 and RSLinx V2.1. Its communicating with an SLC 5/04 over DH+

The PC is completely jacked now and the client needs it to be upgraded. Unfortunately the comms card ( 1768-KTX i'mt told)is for an ISA slot and will not work in a new PC.

THe price for a 1170-KF2 is 2500.00 euro and a PCI version 1784-PKTX is 2010.00 euro which is outrageous!!!!

What are my options? Anyone any ideas to make this happen cheaper?

Continue to wail, louder and louder, and eventually AB will think of a costeffective solution for bridging for example ethernet and DH+.

Until then, your options are the aforementioned PKTX card, exchanging the SLC5/04 for an SLC5/05, or using a ControlLogix rack as gateway with an ENBT and a DHRIO module.
A slight odd possibility is to get a new PC with ISA slots. In particular IPCs are still made with these. However, that will only postpone the problem until the next time.
Btw. forget the KF2 !

Thanks Jesper,

I think the cheapest option for the minute is an installation on an old PC but like you said its only postponing the problem.

Hmmmmmm

ebay.

But personally I like the ControlLogix gateway solution. It offers future expandability.

With those RSView32 and RSLinx specs you are using windows NT.

Like Oakley I would go the Logix Gateway path which takes DH+ to Ethernet. Which was a painless transition when I did it.

(Just a thought)
Another option for a Pktx card is look at the comms card that comes on a new PanelView+ that has DH+ comms, I have never tried it but have laid them side by side and they are exactly the same to look at. The problem is finding one that is not in use to experiment with.

Following up on what Jesper said: I'm currently doing something similiar. There are numerous companies that will make you a custom computer with PCI and ISA slots for a third of the cost of a PKTX. This way, you can have a modern computer and still support legacy hardware. Here is one company.
http://www.nixsys.com/index.php

Cheap: Serial or Digi

How many tags are you exchanging?
How many contiguous blocks?
Is a serial connection possible? (<50')
If so, the "cheaper" solution might be the other 5/04 comm port.

If your tag count is small and organized, and the distance is reasonable, go serial. Easy to troubleshoot and maintain.

Another option is the DigiI, and newer DigiIAP.

We use those to bridge serial to ethernet on at least 20 machines, and they are great, and less expensive and more configurable than the a/b equivalent.

They have an EDS file so they integrate seamlessly into RSlinx.

Once the connection is made they become transparent, (replaced by the SLC/Micrologix CPU they are bridged to). They reappear when there is a failure on the serial side.

Digi has a slick management toolset too that is the easiest ethernet comms device I have ever had to set up and troubleshoot. That is saying a whole lot, since I am still a novice with ethernet.

It literally finds all of the DIGI products on your network and allows you to click right into the device's built in webpages for monitoring and pw protected configuration.

Paul

Check out the DataLink USB to DH+ Gateway for $1,300. www.****************.com This solution is a great alternative to 1784-PKTX, 1784-PCMK and the 1770-KF2. They also make DH-485 converters that replace the 1770-KF3

morganjack said:
Check out the DataLink USB to DH+ Gateway for $1,300. www.****************.com This solution is a great alternative to 1784-PKTX, 1784-PCMK and the 1770-KF2.
When using the DL3500, if your DH+ cable us over 300 feet be sure to use the power supply and not rely on USB power. It's a little gotcha that will make you think the unit doesn't work.
When used with the power supply, they work great and are very reliable.