Dh485 Comms

TimeFluxCap

Any AB comms gurus out there who can give some advice on a little project I got going on.

Ive got a Micrologix1000 series A and a PV500 2711-K5A5. Now I want to use my PV with the Micro.

Now Ive been looking at how to set up my comms so I can use them together.

According to my manuals, info is brief but I think it can be done. I can use them together but I need to use an interface. According to AB manual 1761-6.4 I need to use a 1761-NET-AIC interface. I can plug my Micrologix into port 2 using cable 1761-CBL-AM00 and the PV into port 1 using cable 1761-CBL-AC00 ( or can I use cable 2706-NC13 so I can download from PC to PV and then use same cable to plug PV into interface )

Using the Micro with a PV seems to be rare so the info seems a bit vague for me.

Q1 Will this system work?
Q2 Is it the simplest way to do it?
Q3 The line diagrams in the manual refer to series C or later micro1000. Mine is a series A what is the diff?

This a home project so being the tight *** I am, Im trying to make sure I get the right gear first time to try and save cash!

TFC

Time, I started a reply offering a bunch of things that I think you may have already looked at, like Typical NODE 3

This is an ab and pc config therefore you didnt give enough details to offer a foregone method.

I know the NET-AIC will allow you to hook 2 rs232 to a dh485 network. If you connect the PLC and PV via the AIC then you will just need cables for that (the 2706 cable wont work here I dont think)).

Once both of those of are connected to the AIC if you have a card in PC that allows you to connect to DH485 then you will have no need to swap cables around at all, you can even leave a pc connected all the time.

Being a home project tho you may not want or need the AIC, these 2 devices should be able to communicate with each other with 1 cable if you dont want/need full time PC connection.

The MicroLogix 1000 controllers originally were introduced with only one communication option; DF1 Full Duplex.

It wasn't until Series C came along that they got the option of running DH-485 protocol on their RS-232 serial ports, and then later in Series D they got DF1 Half-Duplex Slave.

It's a little confusing that when the MicroLogix 1000 with Analog was introduced at the same time as the Series D discrete controllers, it came out as Series A (as though it was a separate product). Wacky.

What you have in your hands is fundamentally incompatible if you have a discrete I/O MicroLogix 1000 Series A controller; the MicroLogix is only capable of DF1 Full Duplex protocol, and the PanelView is only capable of DH-485 protocol.

There was a thread here a while ago in which Eddie Willers mentioned installing DF1 Full Duplex firmware into a DH-485(RS-232) PanelView terminal, but I don't have enough experience in doing that with the K5A5 model of PanelView to recommend it.

Thanks for the replies RS and Ken.

Yep, Ken I had suspicions that it wouldnt work together. Ive only ever had to configure comms on networks with the same protocol so Im really green when it comes to the different standards and how they work together so I was trying this to learn something.

I spoke to my local salesman and he assured me that with the 2711-NC21 cable I could talk between the PV and micro. I guess he hadnt heard about the A series being only DF1.

Anyone out there want to swap a PV550 for a DTAM or microview?
DOH!

Ken. I think it was my thread of changing a panelview from 232 protocol to DH485. It was a little bit tricky but it is up and working and in production. TFC, it could be a cheaper option to buy a second hand series C micrologix. Another option if it is home use is try citect. You can get 10 minutes of run time in demo mode which is enough to alter setpoints etc. Regards Alan

Hi Al

a cheaper option to buy a second hand series C micrologix.

Do you know of an aussie site that you can get second hand plc stuff.
Ebay.au doesnt ever seem to have them. Ive picked up some gear at old plant clearance sales but they are rare.

Ta mate!

Go to the AB website--you may be able to "flash" the series A to the newest firmware that talks DH 485. I've done it with ML 1200's.

Thanks John
can you point me in the right direction, is it under the micrologix section, sometimes I go round in circles! Im off to there now, will see if I can find it.