DH485 conenction

stallone

Hello all,

i have seen a few things here and there about connecting to a panelview 550, however i still would like to ask a few things,

I have a 2711-K5a5, frn 4.41, there is 1 rs232 port at the back.

This unit is connected to a micrologix plc. All is working fine for the past 15 years or so, but now the HMI appears to be packing up, lines (across the screen)

I have found an exact same version of the hmi and i want to replace it, i don't however have a backup of the program,

How do i connect to the old unit to retrieve the program.

I have a 1747-uic but i cant seem to see it in linx or panel builder. I'm not sure if my serial cable is straight thru or crossover or which one is actually needed.

Please could someone assist,

i have also seen some people recommend memory card, but i don't have any or the readers.

My general recommendation is indeed a memory card when dealing with these old PV units, but a 1747-uic should be able to get you connected.

Cable should be straight iirc, though these days I use a third-party version of the UIC that has the cable built in so I could be misremembering.

First check Device Manager with the UIC plugged in and make sure it is properly identified and showing up as a COM port; I had one laptop where I had to dig up and manually install the driver because Windows would not automatically find the correct one (although I've had several other laptops that never had this issue, ymmv). If it is showing up make sure you are setting the COM port in RSLinx to match.

If the old screen is still at all functional check that the baud rate has not been changed from the default (19200). Or you can check it in the MicroLogix program settings if that's available. I'm not sure if the MicroLogix would support a 9600 baud rate, but I've heard of setups that use it.

Thank you for the reply, i have confirmed the comm port is correct, i have used the uic before on different occasions and it worked.
is there a specific version of linx i have to use and also what is a straight thru cable?
is it the one with 3 pins only?

Here's a thread on PV Standard memory cards, and there is probably a better thread with greater detail is we hunt for it:

A straight through serial cable in this context just means that that it is pin for pin the same on both male and female ends. A null modem cable means pins 2 and 3 are swapped at one end and that is another very common type of serial cable pinout.

I tend to keep a few mini gender and null modem adapters in my serial cable bag so I can plug my serial cable right into about anything with the right adapter (or two) snapped on the end.

i managed to get communications.

I couldnt verify if my rs232 cable was straight thru ect.

I made up a new straight through cable,
i also found that i could not establish communications with rslinx ver 2.50, upgraded to 2.54 and that solved my problem,
i can now upload/download from panelbuilder application.