Differences between: 1771-IXHR and 1771-IXE/B

fredm54

I was just asked to track the temperature in a couple rooms where we have some PLC-5/40's and some HP servers. I found these 2 Thermocouple modules (1771-IXHR and 1771-IXE/B) Does anyone know the differences between the two? I don't need any high speed data collection and may only use 2 or 3 thermocouples. Also, any suggestions as to what thermocouples you would recommend? (just monitoring room temperatures from the mid 60's to maybe mid 90's)

Oh, the thermocouples would be no further than 50 feet from the PLC5/40 I intend to use.

thanks!

The 1771-IXHR has higher resolution then the 1771-IXE/B see link for info on resolution if needed:
http://www.evaluationengineering.com/archive/articles/1298pct.htm

If you are only going to have 2 or 3 inputs then I would get a couple of temperature transmitters and connect them to a analog input card such as a 1771-IFE. See link below for one vendor ( there are many others)
http://www.miinet.com/products/ca_temperature.shtml
A type "T" thermocouple would fit room temperature well. You might also consider a RTD.

Also attached are the tempertature card manuals

Last edited:
Found out the hard way that thermocouples are prone to EMI. Royally screws up the PLC when they are the input.

If you are going 50' I think I would consider RTD

Dan Bentler