DL250 CPU with D2-RMSM

My basic setup is a Automation Direct DL250 CPU with an D2-RMSM remote master. The master unit should be connected to two remote T1K-RSSS slaves and uses the RM protocol for communication. Each slave has several I/O modules. See attached file for a more detailed desciption of the module layout and memory mapping.

My problem is with the current setup (see memory mapping) I have no problem to read all analog and discrete I/O's of the first slave. However, I run into problems with reading the second slave e.g. if I want to set a discrete output (in T1K-08TR) in the V-memory location V3501, it does not work. I cannot even read the memory location of a discrete input.

I suspect that this is due to limitations in the master's I/O capacity per slave. I have been told that this is limited to 512 points per slave and totally to 2048 points. However, I read in the manaul (section 1-11) that the physical limitation depends on the CPU and one can increase the remote I/O capacity if one uses V-memory type addressing. But I do not quite understand how this should work.

If anybody has experience with this type of a setup and knows how to overcome this problem, I would greatly appreciate your support. I find that technical support from Automation Direct has not been very useful or efficient.

Thanks.

Troubleshooting AutomationDirect Remote I/O is never easy, nor is it a quick process. I would really need to see the ladder as well as the layout of the modules in order to help you in this matter.

From what you are syaing, I take it that everything else works except for the relay module on the second slave. Is this correct?

If so, then the conclusion that it is a memory problem is not likely, as slave #1 has more I/O than slave #2.

Please .zip the portion of the program that does the setup for the Remote I/O and post it and I will try to figure out what is happening with your project.

Thanks for your quick response.
The memory mapping that I sent earlier is an image of the module layout. I am now attaching the master/slave setup ladder. Rungs have been added to read out the setup of the shared memory to help with debugging. When loaded, I read out the same setup as in the ladder.

As things stand, I have a functioning PLC with the first slave. When I add the second slave, I can still set (in interactive mode) and read the first slave's I/O's, but not those of the second slave.
I see no communication and link errors.

Thanks again.

Chitra,

I have not looked at the ladder yet, but I will say this:

Place your setup in the program at the BOTTOM of the program in a subroutine. Execute the sub on the second scann. For reasons unknown to me and AD the RM ladder setup dosnt seem to take all the time when placed at the top of the program. :confused:

Ok. Let's try this.

1. Power off the PLC and slaves.
2. Pull the D2-RMSM and turn dipswitch #8 On.
3. Put it back in and power up both the PLC and the slaves.
4. Power off the PLC and slaves.
5. Turn dipswitch #8 Off.
6. Power back up.

This procedure will erase the current configuration in the D2-RMSM. When you power back up the new configuartion will be written to the D2-RMSM.

Let us know whether it helps or not.

To icky812: We have tried the procedure you mention to erase the setup in the EEPROM. This does not help.

I am attaching the ladder program files as per elevmike's request.

The only two things that I see that might be wrong is:

1) You have your 8 point module in the second slave listed as a 16 point in the I/O assignment. Have you tried it as an 8 point?

2) your slot assignment for your D2-RMSM. You have it set for slot number 4 which is the fifth slot to the right of the CPU. Is this correct?

Otherwise, the program looks ok. I'd normally set this up and test it, but unfortunately time doesn't permit it this week. If none of the above helps, perhaps Monday I'll be able to go round up the required modules and see if I can duplicate it.

Concerning the follwing issues:

>1) You have your 8 point module in the second slave listed as a 16 >point in the I/O assignment. Have you tried it as an 8 point?

AD told me that memory assignment has to be a multiple of 16 even if only 8 points are used. This I have verified to be correct.

>2) your slot assignment for your D2-RMSM. You have it set for slot >number 4 which is the fifth slot to the right of the CPU. Is this >correct?

Yes this is correct and therefore I can communicate with the first slave.

>week. If none of the above helps, perhaps Monday I'll be able to go round up the required modules and see if I can duplicate it.

This would be great! I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks.