DL405 upgrade HMI

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey friends,
I have a customer with a Direct Logic 405 D4-440 CPU. It talks to a very antiquated Xycom device for display and a Texas Instrument keypad for user input.

They would like to upgrade the HMI to a modern HMI for the operator to use.

My first question is....by the appearance of the rest of the system, I expect this processor is old and now would be a good time to upgrade it?

Thanks Steve!
I notice that the DL405 is still in stock and could be purchased on their website. Are you saying you would not recommend the 405 at all any more or just that this CPU should be replaced with a more recent 405 model?

I guess it depends on the customer's plans for the machine. The DL-405 series dates back to the 1990s. But Automation Direct has a track record of long-term support for all of their product lines, so you should be able to buy spares for many more years. Newer PLC models have more features which could make them a better choice if the customer wants to add functionality. If you choose to migrate to different platform you will also have to translate the ladder logic. I don't know what AD offers to facilitate that migration.