Does anyone knows what this error means?

piscis

This a a Total Control HMI Screen. This error appear once in a while specially in very hot day temps.

Erros.JPG

I dont know the eqipment but it looks like the screen is failing to communicate with the plc.

Someone else here may be able to give more info.

What type of PLC does this touchscreen communicates with? The actual error of that kind is usually driver-specific.

P.S. Boy, this looks like a very old touchscreen... 10 years old or so?

Since it happens intermittently at high temperatures, I would suspect a bad solder joint in the cable between the HMI and the PLC. That could cause a momentary loss of communications. It's usually easier to replace the cable than to try to track it down.

The panel connects directly to a very old Omron C200HS with a 01 CPU.

Question:

GE bought “Total Control” the people who make the Operator screen, finding this communication cable is next to impossible on GE monster website.

They no longer make reference to the old Operator screen and all part numbers has been change and diluted with GE’s own HMI Screens.

Does anyone know how to track this cable's part number?

Thanks

I had to dig through a couple of boxes, but I located a manual for the TCP Smart Touch HMI.

The error is defined as follows:

PLC COM ERROR(**)
Comm error between PLC and Smart Touch
Error number included after message.
FF indicates a transmit timeout at PLC.
FE indicates a receive timeout at PLC.
FD indicates a PLC receive data error.

That's all there is.

For cables, the manual lists a part number of HMI-CAB-C67 for connecting to an Omron C20H. Not knowing enough about the difference between the C20 series and the C200, I can't offer anything more than that.

Edit:

From the Quick Panel manual (not the Smart Touch), the cable for the Omron C200H is part number HMI-CAB-C53/A. That's a 25-pin male to 25-pin male, where the other one is 25-pin male to 9-pin male.

Pinout is pretty basic, pin 2 to pin 3, pin 3 to pin 2, pin 7 to pin 7, jumper pin 4 to pin 5 on both the HMI and the PLC side.
The C67 cable also jumpers pin 7 to pin 9 on the PLC side.
The C53/A cable jumpers pins 6, 8, and 20 on the PLC side.

Last edited:
Steve Bailey:

I just find out that GE no longer sells the programming cable for this Touch Panel, it seems like we must build one.

Can you please make a copy of the pin out for this model? TOTAL CONTROL # HMI80100A2P and post it here.

NOTE:

The communication cable to Omron is easily available though!!

I don't have any reference to that part number. My manual lists two possibilities for connection to a PC for upload/download.

The first is 25-pin male to 25-pin female. HMI-CAB-C51.
The other is 25-pin male to 9-pin female. HMI-CAB-C52.

C51 is 2 - 3, 3 - 2, 7 - 7 with 4 - 5 jumpered on both sides and 6 - 8 - 20 jumpered on the female side.

C52 is 2 - 2, 3 - 3, 7 on the 25-pin to 5 on the 9-pin, with 4 - 5 jumpered on the 25-pin side and 4 - 6 jumpered and 1 - 7 - 8 jumpered on the 9-pin side.

I used to think that the Quick Panel when total control supported the product was one of the best HMI's on the market.

After GE bought them out we started to have compatiblility issues with older panels and newer software etc... GE wasn't much help.

Sorry I can't help with the cabling issues