Does Automated Inventory Software for Rockwell E/IP or CIP Devices Exist?

twilliams

I have been tasked with building an inventory of all of our automation devices across multiple large sites. Most of our hardware is Rockwell and is on the network.

Currently, I am using RSLinx to go through and find each device, and it's model number, firmware and serial.

There must be a better way. Does anyone know of software that can do this? Or a way to make my harmony file human readable? Or something more efficient. I looked a creating a program based on the pycomm3 drivers but I don't feel like I have the spare time if it doesn't work to then go back and manually collect the data.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I found the answer. Rockwell used to make software called System Ferret. If you google it or call your distributor, you can likely find the download.

Think the closest stock software would be RSNetworx for Ethernet/IP - it will browse all the chassis and can see what is in each rack.

System Ferret! Yes! That's it. I was racking my brain trying to remember what it was called. I remember using it at my last place but I can't find where I had it installed. It's not on any of my VMs or on my old laptop. I don't remember what kind of export function it has, but I do remember it being pretty straight forward to use.

Factorytalk AssetCenter also has an inventory crawler, and does the same functionality as System Ferret.

System Ferret>AssetCentre.

I put system ferret into the downloads here some time ago. It was found elsewhere after
RA had abandoned it.

I didn't see it in there, so I tried to upload it. However, it exceeds the 1Mb max file size.

I'll put it up to a shared spot and post the link here.

It's probably trying to do a render of the contents. Thanks, Microsoft.

I'll put it up on my Dropbox some time this evening. Our IT department (bless their hearts) blocks it here at the shop.

Last edited:
the MSI file alone is 2mb
the Dotnet msi is 40mb
It's not gonna break down

I was talking about this:

https://superuser.com/a/356101/700354

Code:
Yes, you can do it using WinRAR.

Open WinRAR window and navigate to the folder which your file is located in that WinRAR window.

Right click on your RAR file and select "Add files to archive" (alternatively you can press Alt+A).

In the opened window, give a new name to your to-be-split file (e.g. Archive_2.rar). Then, under "Compression Method", select "Store". Input your desired value inside "Split to volumes, bytes" box, click OK and you're done.