Drive monitor

Slwagner73

Lifetime Supporting Member
So, I have a customer wanting me to install a remote start/stop for a Powerflex 4, along with a potentiometer for speed control, but they would also like a hertz monitor mounted in the remote box.
I was looking at Automation Direct, and a couple others, but I'm not sure how that would work.
I believe the Powerflex has an analog output. So I find it hard to believe I wouldn't be able to find some Panel meter that would work.
Red Lion style 1/8DIN is the idea I have in my head, but maybe one or two of you guys has done this before.
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Scott

Alan:
As much as I appreciate the idea, this customer insist on using PowerFlex 4's, and I don't know if those will work with the 22-HMI.
Or am I wrong?

i think you an fink a small 8 in computer and use Modbuss IP directly
Powerflex may have the ability to extend the operator panel and just remote it

So, I have a customer wanting me to install a remote start/stop for a Powerflex 4, along with a potentiometer for speed control, but they would also like a hertz monitor mounted in the remote box.
I was looking at Automation Direct, and a couple others, but I'm not sure how that would work.
I believe the Powerflex has an analog output. So I find it hard to believe I wouldn't be able to find some Panel meter that would work.
Red Lion style 1/8DIN is the idea I have in my head, but maybe one or two of you guys has done this before.
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Scott
The PF4 does NOT have an Analog Output. It was designed as a low cost "shaft turner" drive for people who didn't want any frills.

Do you understand that a PF4 will cost you more than a PF523 now, and the 523 has a smaller footprint, plus it has an analog output? The same remote HIMs work for the 520 drives as the 4s, so you could still do that. But the remote HIMs do not have a pot on them, you would have to set up the Up / Down keys as speed control. Some people don't like that, some are OK with it. If they don't like it, you could put a pot in the box with it and run separate wires. But how far is the distance from the remote to the drive? Pot wires don't handle distance well.

A few years ago there were dozens of small companies that made generic remote control boxes for VFDs, I couldn't find a single one now. Maybe they were not popular enough to keep around? Or did people just figure out that it's not that hard to roll your own? (as long as you don't want a display...)

Last edited:
jraef:
Thanks for the input, but it's the customer who is sold on the "4", I have tried several times to talk them into 52*'s. I like those drives.
I guess I will have to look at the HMI option more, as I guess I didn't realize it had the ability to hook to a "4".

You might want to talk (or have your customer talk) with your AB rep find out when they are going to "legacy" that family of drives. AB are putting the PF700's in that state now. Might nudge them into thinking of going to the 500 series family. I also understand being consist ant with the drives at their location from the customer view point.