ELC Soft Questions

651beckwith

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the PLC world. I did a little bit of it back in my undergrad, but I mainly focused basic on Data Acquisition with NI LabWindows, so this ladder logic stuff is a little new to me.

In my place of work, I've been tasked with trying to figure out what somebody (who is no longer with the company) coded into a PLC that we are using. No body in my office has used ELC Soft before, so I'm on my own.

Anyway, I feel like I understand the idea of how to build ladder logic, but I feel like I'm missing some very basic piece of information. I can't seem to wrap my head around some of the descriptions they use in the help.

For example:

TO m1 m2 S n

m1: Specialty module number

m2: CR (Control Register) number of the special module

S: Data address of the data to write to the specialty module
n: Number of words to write

In the code I'm looking at, there are various TO/FROM rungs that look something like this:

TO K4 K1 H9 K1

My understanding:
K's and H's are constants in Decimal and Hex, respectively

I'm writing Hex 9 into module 4's first Control Register in one word?

Is that correct? If so, how do I find out how the module #s and Control Registers relate to my PLC I/O? Does this even make sense?

I don't have the PLC on hand (it is on-site), but it is a elc-pv28nndt

Hope you can help me out.

<disclaimer - I work for an Eaton distributor>

The ELC has an almost mind numbing array of functions for a PLC its size but it is also very inexpensive. The result of that combination is that the learning curve for programming can be quite steep. The line is generally the same as the Delta Electronics line sold in Asia.

I have only done one project in the ELC and I believe the "TO" instructions I used were put there by a wizard in the software for adding I/O modules. I don't think I ever touched them.

<disclaimer - I work for an Eaton distributor>

The ELC has an almost mind numbing array of functions for a PLC its size but it is also very inexpensive. The result of that combination is that the learning curve for programming can be quite steep.

This I can attest to.

Also, I don't see a wizard... but maybe it is because I'm not directly connected to the device right now. I'm just trying to read through the ladder logic and understand what is going on.

Is there anyway to map out the module and register numbers?

anyone familiar with this?

I have ELC Soft 2.02 and here is a screen shot of the menu bar showing the Wizzard option. I am not online with anything so perhaps you do not have the latest software for the ELC?

You are correct with your interpretation of the TO instruction and what it is doing. But it would be helpful if you actually know what type of module is at position 4. Do you have a schematic of the system?

Capture.PNG

I have ELC Soft 2.02 and here is a screen shot of the menu bar showing the Wizzard option. I am not online with anything so perhaps you do not have the latest software for the ELC?
Ok, I have that menu, but what wizard are you specifically referring too (Communication Program?,Aux Setup for Extension Module?, Extension Module? etc)

You are correct with your interpretation of the TO instruction and what it is doing. But it would be helpful if you actually know what type of module is at position 4. Do you have a schematic of the system?

I don't have a schematic but I do have a table that will say something like:

(I tried to make that table look nice, but it's not working for me)

Now, I would think that the module number and CR number would either be related to either the RTU card or the A/D port on the PLC... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Do the ports on a PLC often have a normal mapping to the module and CR number? Also, just to be sure, a module would be a strip of ports and a CR would be a specific port on a module.... is that right?

For add on modules use the Wizard sub menu for
"Auxiliary setup for Extension Modules"

The wizard actually helps create code (TO/FROM instructions) that is put into the program to get/write the data at the proper places.

There is some training information on the Eaton web site but the higher level stuff appears to be password protected. I'm trying to get the password from Eaton (very strange that they would do that in my mind).

In your case, if you know the exact module type, you can open the wizard, select the module in one of the slot drop downs and then you can see what control word does what function. Not ideal but a path to the information.

Extension Module.PNG RTD Module Setup.jpg

Ok, thanks for the help.

I can't try this until I get back to the office on Monday, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Ok, although it is not the most direct route to the information, it definitely helps!

Thanks for all of your help. Greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Got an email back from Eaton this morning.

The password on the training .zip file on their web site is 'eaton' (without quotes).

I haven't looked at is all yet but there looks to be some useful stuff in there.

Norm

I too have just started programming with eaton ELC's (What a pain), so I know what you're talking about. Best bet is to download the instruction manual for whatever is in Module Slot 4 (it goes 0, 1, 2, 3, 4) I believe and look at that. It will have a big list of CR's and what each one does. You'll be able to find CR #1 and see what writing a hex value of 9 to it does. Usually that is used to configure the function of the card.

Norm is right also, you can use that wizard and it will create a list of commands to inject into your ladder logic based on what you want to setup. That's how everyone usually does it.