Exam to hire the special automation guys…

Well for a written test, I think that it depends on what the applicants role as an Engineer will be. Are they going to be responsible for field work, or just sitting behind a desk doing design? Will they be making a thousand of the same machines, or one off custom equipment? New machines, or retro fitting new features into old equipment..... I think that you need to be more specific, before we can answer the question (this is a broad and demanding field). But you could ask troubleshooting questions if they are going to do field work, or design type questions like the coffee mug, to see how they think about a project. If they are fresh engineers, then this may not work though. The test I took when I was recruited from Bethlehem Steel; only about 2% would pass. And then they had an extensive 4 month training program afterwords to teach us the skills needed.

I would design questions, to show that the applicant can think beyond their training, and then don't forget, that they will need mentoring afterwords. The test can prove they are capable of learning what they need to.

-MUR

The engineer will be an “automation and drives designer and commissioner” for new machines as well as refurbished ones (control upgrade). 75 % of our work is custom equipment; the rest is repeated design with small modifications; but always a lot of commissioning.
Same engineer has to do the concept, calculations, purchase order, layout, wiring diagrams, bill of materials, software (plc, hmi and drives), testing and commissioning of his machine project! He has the assistance of experienced technicians, but he should do a lot of work…
Sadly, it takes one year to have an ordinary fresh engineer become dependable. Then, during the second year, they start looking for a job, and on the third year they leave. So the cycle repeats again.
Usually the bright engineers give good output from the first few months, and they tend to stay as they enjoy the design and commissioning challenge.

Interview

It may be better to ask questions that are not specific to any automation design. Keep them very general, and grade based on the way they answer. Do they solve the problem? Is it practicle? Did he/she just memorize the math? My favorite is two control problems. One question is, "how would you control the flow of ore from a vibrating feeder to a conveyor?" Next is "how would you control a natural gas flow for temperature control in a mine ventilation shaft.
Here you have two very different systems. The questions will ask what controllers you would use if any, and what other hardware they might find usefull. There are many others that come to mind but this is my 2 cents...:)