Example Modicon programs for RMC motion controller

A little background first:
We make RMC motion controllers that can communicate with many PLCs. We provide our customers with example PLC programs that are set up to communicate with our RMCs. This significantly cuts down the time required to set up the system.

The issue:
We are a little short on example programs for communicating with Modicon PLCs. I am looking at getting a Modicon PLC and making an example program, but I am not very familar with the Modicon (Telemechanique, Schneider, whatever they are called now) PLC lines.

Does anyone have advice on which Modicon PLCs are most commonly used, or which PLCs will be used in the future? Info on which ones are ancient and worthless is also useful. The few customers I have talked to that use Modicon have used the Qauntum.

Info on software is also appreciated.

Thanks!

Jacob Paso

We use a mix of modicon PLCs.

We have a lot of 984-680, 884-685 that are 20 years old and going strong but no longer available.
We have a lot of the more current quantums and a few compacts and momentums.

We use 984 ladder logic to programs them all using Proworx32 (and Modsoft)

We have not tried the new Premium PLC or the new Unity software.

Hope that helps,

Brian.

Most popular newer platform will be the Premium and Quantum, the new M340 sits at the lower\mid end of the Premium and is quite a nice piece of kit with a few neat features

There are a few software options but most up to date is Unity Pro (XL version programms ALL Modicon\Telemecanique PLC's) there is several tiers which will program M340 only etc. Unity is the IEC61131 compliant package.

If you have any specific questions as away, i will do my best !!

We use some Modicon 984-685 PLCs. While no longer made there are still gazillions of them (OK, maybe not, but still thousands and thousands of them) in operation. A couple of years ago they were getting scarce but now the market is flooded with replacements as old installations have been swapped out and used parts started hitting the market. I would look for them to be around for some time to come.

The software I use is Proworx32, and FasTrak PLC Workshop32 for Modicon, both of which are buggy.

Modicon can get a bit confusing as some physical hardware can support either programming style.

There are actually 3 programming styles, 2 of which have been mentioned:
984LL
Unity (IEC style programming)

The third is PL7 which was pretty much exclusively the older Premium platform.

Here is the rundown on all the Modicon stuff I have come across:

984 Compact - Uses Modsoft/ProworxNxt/Proworx32. Old hardware line, now obsolete. We are chaging a bunch of these out to Unity style Premiums.

984-4/5/6xx - Full-size pre-Quantum PLC. Tons of them about, rock solid but now also obsolete. Uses Modsoft/ProworxNxt/Proworx32
We generally replace these with Unity style Quantums.

Momentum - can be 984LL using Modsoft/ProworxNxt/Proworx32 or Concept. Still a current product.

M340 - Only compatible with Unity 3.0 or higher. Brand new.

Premium - Comes in the aforementioned old PL7 or new Unity flavours.

Quantum - Comes in old 984LL as per Momentum or new Unity.
Schneider have recently released a SIL-rated safety PLC version using dedicated hardware and a special Safety version of Unity.

Software-wise (chronological order):

TaylorSoft/Modsoft - Old DOS-based program. All we had 'back in the day' but looks dated now. Newer versions will run under windows (I think).

ProWorx NxT - Windows 2000, works ok, I do most of my 984 stuff using this. Fairly robust, easy to use and reliable. I use it via a Virtual Machine.

Proworx32 - The only benefit it gives you is it is XP-compatible but its really buggy and pretty unreliable. I use it to reference old programs for conversion purposes but I wouldnt ever use it for online editing.

Concept - Schneiders stab at a quasi-IEC language. Havn't used it much as it didnt offer alot for the work I was doing. I also heard it was really buggy too. I have it and have used it a little but I think on balance dont waste your time!

Unity - IEC version. 2.3 & 2.6 were pretty horrible but now we're up to 3.1 with 4.0 due out in the summer. A little quirky but does the job. Even if it is french :p

Last edited:
SLC_Integrator said:
TaylorSoft/Modsoft - Old DOS-based program. All we had 'back in the day' but looks dated now. Newer versions will run under windows (I think).

MODSOFT requires a DOS window and uses the com port.
Windows versions after Win98 do not support this feature.

Brian.