Explosion proof PLC / HMI panel

dkpramanik

One of my customer asking an explosion proof HMI + PLC panel for LPG storage tank hazardous zone. The HMI to be for both controlling (by hand touch) and monitoring. The PLC and HMI must be Siemens brand.

What is the best way to do/get that?

Ask for the hazardous area location drawing and where they want to install it along with the risk assessment.

If it's not in a Zone 2, then can't be done.

If it's in a zone 2, contact someone that can design that for you to be certain of what you're doing.

I think it could be done with a rated, purged enclosure, but the HMI would have to be inside the enclosure, and you view it via window. Need to check with your local experts.

The enclosure is purged for a set period before power is applied, once power is applied, it pressure drops below a minimum value, the power is removed before explosive vapor can enter.

You want to make sure what ever system you use is approved/certified by a third party. In the US, this would be FM or other authority. It's going to be expensive.

I think it would be more cost effective to have the PLC in a safe area and use Profibus PA (intrinsically safe) for field devices. The HMI would still be a challenge.

Since this is out of my area of expertise, legal knowledge, and legal/financial liability I will tell the customer Sorry, I can't do it & won't take on the liability.

Since your OP states you are as experienced in explosion proof panels I suggest you do the same.

Even if you sub-contract this out to a qualified panel shop to design & install it for you it will still be your liability since you took the project on.

If you do find a qualified panel shop then tell the customer they have the knowledge and use them directly without your name on any of the contracts, sales orders, quotes, etc.