Extract data to SQL in "real time"

gergallardos

Hi,

I have a SLC 500 and connected to it via DH+ is a PanelView Plus. The PV+ has an ethernet port

I'm looking for a way to get the status of some bits in the PLC and register them in a database as well as use them to display "real time" alerts in screens located in our production line. By "real time" I'm not meaning milliseconds, I think anything around 2 secs should do the trick.

According to Allen Bradley the PV+ can't pull these values and store them in a database, apparently it is restricted to datalogs.

I have been looking at the OPC Servers like Matrikon and Kepware. Actually Matrikon has an ODBC client for OPC Server, could this work?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Have you gotten a price on factory talk historian? I use it and it is a pretty easy software to work with. For just Excel files, the processor can probably achieve a datalog alone.

Hi Passman,

I'm checking Webdock DataPort's webpage and seems like what I need. I also took a look at Ignition by Inductive Automation.

Do you know if they could reach the PLC through the PV+ ethernet port or do I have to get an ethernet module for it?

Hello,

If you are planning on using a PC running a MS Windows OS, PeakHMI might be a good solution for you.

Hello,

If you are planning on using a PC running a MS Windows OS, PeakHMI might be a good solution for you.
Hello Mark,

I guess that once connected to our network using either an ENI module or the PV+ ethernet port, I would opt by running the applications in our server.

Can this PeakHMI software pull values from the PLC through the PV+?

Hi,

>through the PV+?

I am not sure what communication options the PV+ offers. If it offers the data as an OPC data server, PeakHMI has a built in OPC client.

Normally, PeakHMI communicates directly with the PLC. Depending on the PLC you might be able to connect directly to it from PeakHMI.

Hi,

>through the PV+?

I am not sure what communication options the PV+ offers. If it offers the data as an OPC data server, PeakHMI has a built in OPC client.

Normally, PeakHMI communicates directly with the PLC. Depending on the PLC you might be able to connect directly to it from PeakHMI.
It's a SLC 500. So if I put an ethernet module I would be able to access the data with PeakHMI and then upload it to a database?

Hello,

>It's a SLC 500.

OK, so it is one of the brick ones, not a 5/03, 5/04 or 5/05

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/SLC-500-Controllers

>So if I put an ethernet module I would be able to access the data with PeakHMI and then upload it to a database?

Right. Using the included ODBC driver you can save data to any database that supports ODBC. I have never seen a database that does not support ODBC. You could even use Excel or Access.

On our website we have an example project logging to Excel. I have a test project logging to MySQL. An example logging to MS Access is around here somewhere. Creating a new example project would be easy.

We also have an example project logging to a text file.

Last edited: