EZ-PLC - Whatta ya think?

What do YOU think bout the EZAutomation PLC?

• Fantastic, gotta have one!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Will look into in the future.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Probably not.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Absolutely NO WAY!

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
an idea??

Hi Folks,

I was recently 'talking' with jdbrandt. We were discussing an idea for a 'Consumer Reports' for PLCs/Automation. (You know, the magazine that does non-biased reporting on washing machines, refrigerators, etc)

Wouldn't it be nice to have non-biased reviews on all things automation... new products in particular? This new EZ-PLC seems like the perfect opportunity to start such a 'consumer reports'.

My vision is to buy a base model, software, manuals. Then have it shipped to a volunteer tester. He/she runs some tests and writes a review. Then he/she ships it to the next person. They test and review, then ship to next person, etc. Maybe 5-10 in all?? What better people in the world to run tests than the community we have here??????

All reviews will be posted here in a new section with all details/photos/commenst/etc. Only basic things need to be tested. Quality, ease of use, functionality, instruction set, etc

In the end we give away the product to a needy student in a contest of some sort(best traffic light program :) )

PLCS.net buys everything and doesn't accept donated items... truely un-biased as always. :p

If we have a bunch of interested people, let me know. If so, we'll start a new topic so as to not hijack this thread away from it's purpose.

Escalator logic?

Dana - We now have 'elevator logic', just ask Mike.

I saw a temprature (sp!) control in a movie theater to adjust the ammonium (H4 dang-it) cooling system. It was a 2 foot long wiper arm and had about a dozen 1 to 2 inch brass button contacts in an arc. You want colder move the arm to the next button. I have NO IDEA what it did. That was in the mid 60s and I was a mere pup then and only knew how to install a light switch.

Rod (The CNC dude)

Re: an idea??

Phil Melore said:
Wouldn't it be nice to have non-biased reviews on all things automation... new products in particular? This new EZ-PLC seems like the perfect opportunity to start such a 'consumer reports'.

Good idea, Phil. But where would you find a non-biased opinion? We're all pretty opinionated here! :p

I've had my hands into quite a few different product lines: AD, ABB, AB, Moeller, ControlMicrosystems. I'd love to have a place outside the forum to share my experiences on each. The forum is good Q&A, but it doesn't really lend itself to just A.

I'm sort of a PLC hobbyist, so I would EVENTUALLY play with any hardware/software presented to me. But, I also have a large junk collection. There's no telling how quickly I'd get into something like this. I suggest that you, Phil, devise a standard critique form, too. That'll help to keep us all honest.

AK

P.S. Keep in mind, organizations like UL get started this way. Eventually, the PLCs.net seal of approval might carry a lot of weight.

Re: an idea??

Phil Melore said:
Hi Folks,

My vision is to buy a base model,

That would be very expensive!! Get a donation or a loaner. For less expensive items like the EZAutomation PLCs it may be easier to just buy it but the costs will pile up.

I think your forum has enough influence to get demo units. I know we have about 10 demo units in the field at one one time. Sometimes we provide unit to key strategic people that are like having another salesman on the road.

The PLC manufactures have demo units My customers and I have had no problem borrowing and Control Logix.

We have to have access to many different PLCs and HMIs for compatability testing. We have many different PLCs and HMIs here. We just bought a Xycom Proface HMI for compatiblity testing now. We write small example or demo programs for the devices we test and post them on our website so the users don't have to start from scratch. I have posted links to these programs many times. The volunteers should realize that this will take a lot of time to do proper testing, reviews and sample programs.

Finally, mrplc.com has a section like this and it isn't used very much. If there are reviews WITH example programs this idea could save many people a lot of money.

PLC Consumer Reports - Excellant Idea Phil!

PLC Consumer Reports - Excellant Idea Phil!

I would think that each individuals writen report would probably go back to you, as I would think anynominity would probably be desired. I would think that there would be 2 or 3 guys at least, who would volunteer, and probably a couple of more that would accept being drafted.

There are so many new products out there that most of us never see. I have been furious the last several years as someone always had something come up to prevent from going to NMW in Chicago (an easy drive for me). Last year, I really wanted to see GE's PACs, RX~ "stuph". From what I gather, they probably weren't even there, though.

I doubt we ever see a "PLC Expo". With so much going on in the midwest, with Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee all seem to be booming, automationwise, Chicago is almost the ideal location, or at least somewhere here in the great lakes area. The last time I was at NMW all the big names were there, and lots of new products out. Looking over the exhibitor list last month, there were no big names listed. I don't remember any PLC manufacturers on the list, not even AutoCAD. If something comes up this year, I may not get get excited about it. However, it would be nice to bump into a couple of the plcs.net regulars there, or afterwards. Time will tell.

However, I think the recipent needs to sign a release that the plc will NEVER be used on a traffic light, or washer program. Escalators are okay!

regards.....casey

PLC users Reports...

Sounds good up front but I can see pitfalls..(not that they can't be overcome).

Washing machines, radios, coffee makers, cars etc. are all "purpose built". That is they have one application..Not so complicated to test. On the other hand PLCs have endless applications.. A particular PLC or automation product may be great for doing one thing but not the best for the other.. Tests and reports would have to be broken down by application type. PID, remote I/O, networking, etc.. For me, Im not the master of all applications. So the reviews would likely be broken down and written by people expieranced in whatever...

One of the big issues with automation equipment is roubustness. It's hard to get a feel for how robust a PLC is until it's been installed and punsished for living for a time.

Im interested, but I'm not so sure it will be as easy as compairing dishwashers...

Ive got another problem...Bias. There's only one brand that's worthwhile and all others exist only as distractions and for thoes who dont know better... :rolleyes: I might not make a good reviewer.

Re: PLC users Reports...

elevmike said:
I might not make a good reviewer.

I don't see why not!

Mike,

Reviews are all about opinions, your opinion is as much valid as the next guy.

We all know you're biased towards a particular manufacturer (what one was that again?), but that should not make a difference, it gives you something to compare the EZ-PLC to.

Personally I rarely take much notice of peoples opinions of products (that's why I like Siemens PLC's :rolleyes: ), the only opinion that matters to me is my own.

Maybe, I should listen to other peoples opinions, then, maybe I wouldn't have wasted good money going to see M Night Shylamans 'the village'

Paul

RMA said:

I've seen this acronym a few times, could somebody please explain it for an ignorant Eeuropean!
Miller Genuine Draft (or Draught)
American excuse for beer
Generally considered better than Budweiser

Phil,

It sounds like a good idea in principal, and I'd be willlling to participate in the reviews.

A couple of issues come to mind.

First, the bias of the reviewers. If there was some form of disclosure for the individual reviewers, such as whom they work for and for what brand/model PLC did they write their five most recent programs, we could defuse any allegations of non-objectivity. We could also establish some standards of comparison so the bulk of each review could be based on measurable aspects of the device with some room at the end for gut reactions.

As to the issue of 'buy the unit' vs 'get a demo', I don't know how deep your pockets are, but purchasing new hardware, software, and software maintenance agreements can get rather expensive. On the other hand, if only one or two vendors agree to donate their wares, it gets hard to differentiate the reviews from free advertising. I'll have to think about that aspect for a while.

At any rate, I think it's worth keeping the conversation going.

I can't even imagine the nightmare of wiring that you would have going out on the door.

Isn't one of the main purposes of using an HMI to limit the wiring that you have to do out to the door.

I don't think I would use them anytime soon.

The I/O modules look as cheap as they cost.