EZ TouchPLC ANY TAKERS !!!

Orn Jonsson

Just wandering if any of you have used the EZTOUCH PLC yet.
I'm about to do a small job where I could use this product. However I am shopping for some user experience comments befor I blow $1200 on a unit. (wiring the I/O from the cabinet door could be a drag...)
I downloaded their PLC programming package and it seems rather user friendly.
In the past I have used about 28 of their, (AVG), touch screens with fairly good results. Once in a while the touch cells stop responding (usually out of the box). I send thr screen back and get a new one. - My customers though get a bit frusterated when I have to pull their touch screens out.

I have never dealt with the AVG units. I have dealt with Horner products which I think are fairly easy to work with. CScape software programs both the PLC and the HMI. The I/O can be mounted on the back or they have Smartstix which can be connected thru their CsCan network. The network part is really easy to deal with. CScape software looks similar to GE and you can download it from their website.

I wish they would put prices on the net because I think they are comparable to others but GE distributes them so there may be some issue there. I worked in a plant that was the beta test site for their products so I have seen what they can do.

Give them a look and see what you think www.heapg.com

Orn Jonsson said:
That was mainly speculation and "Terry Talk"...

"Terry Talk?"

Terry Talk is a new one on me.

Since only one or two people have admitted to using the plcs, I suspect that there aren't very many in general, considering the large number of active users here. There are hundreds of people who regularly check in, but never post. I think when the question arose in the past, and was "bumped" up last week, some one would have commented.

I tried several times to see if anyone had used the Optimate "Point" controller, with out any one responding. "LINK". The price was reasonable, but who has ever heard of them?

Putting a PLC-Operator Interface on a door is sometimes fun. All those wires to contend with. I try to avoid wiring to a door as much as possible. To the extreme of putting pilot devices on the "side" of the cabinet and have the cabinet at the end of a machine at 90*.

If you are using a lot of I/O, I would avoid it.

regards.....casey

I am curious about how you would handle the wiring for one of the PLC/HMI if it was on a cabinet door. The EZ models seem to have a 48 I/O maximum with a maximum 1A current on the output modules. I was thinking it might make sense to use a multi-conductor cable for all the digital I/O and a separate cable for analog. The wire size could be as small as 22AWG and a good shielded multi-conductor cable would be stronger then running individualt wires. This would probably require running to a terminal block. I would probably use a terminal block that can incorporate relays to extend the power capabilities of the outputs...probably would be needed anyway.

The other aspect I was curious about was are they really cheaper than buying a PLC and HMI separate which could eliminate wiring issues. Overall the Maple HMI's seem to have better pricing but I am not qualified to rate them on reliability etc. I have used Maple but primarily text models.

The reason I ask this is with the EZTouch 6" color its $910 without I/O and only capable of 32 I/O. A DL06 basic price is $199 with 36 I/O (4 expansion slots) and a Maple Ethernet 6" color screen is $699. An EZ Touch panel is slightly more but it still seems you can get more features using separate units.

Just curious.

You hit the nail on the head. How do you make all the wiring stay on the door? (for more than 3 months). A multi conductor wiring seems like the only way to go. From my experience, if you rum a lot of #16 wiring to a panel door and use the panduid (or whatever) sticky backs to hold them in place, they will eventually come loose and you, (your customer), is left with a mess of wires falling out of the cabinet when he opens the panel door six months later....
P.S. I think I'll check out Maple System's Touch screens. It's time to try something new.

Last edited:
I totaly agree with Ron.
Its desaster Idea to wire the I/O on the panel door.
Even Unitroicse who invent the idea of PLC with HMI made adapter to install the I/O on the back panel.
Persolaly I preper to separate the PLC from the HMI.That way I can chose the best for my self and Iam not tie to certain model.