Factort Talk view studio

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a new FT view application that works fine in the field but when I do a running man I get "Failed to set System time" error message that keeps poping up in the diag window. What am I doing wrong?o_O

You probably have a Global Connection that's trying to set the PC's System Clock using a PLC register, and Windows 7 isn't allowing FactoryTalk View to do so.

TechConnect describes this issue in Knowledgebase Article 205529.

If you're planning on running this application on a Windows PC, you'll have to give FTView some additional administrative rights. If you're just testing this before loading it onto a PanelView Plus, just ignore the warning.

You probably have a Global Connection that's trying to set the PC's System Clock using a PLC register, and Windows 7 isn't allowing FactoryTalk View to do so.

TechConnect describes this issue in Knowledgebase Article 205529.

If you're planning on running this application on a Windows PC, you'll have to give FTView some additional administrative rights. If you're just testing this before loading it onto a PanelView Plus, just ignore the warning.
I don't have access to knowledgebase, could you help me out with this please?

Twelve years ago I mentioned that you can't use that function on Windows 7/10, only on a PanelView Plus.

Do you have a PanelView Plus ?

Yes, I do.

I am trying to learn how to edit an existing HMI application which is running on Panelview Plus, and test it on my laptop with Windows 10. Was able to go online but kept getting 'failed to set system time' on my laptop.

Last edited:
"Failed to set system time" suggests that the HMI is getting its time from the PLC. You will get this error message when you run the application from your computer because ME Station can't change your computers clock. As Ken mentioned, you shouldn't get this error when you run the application on the PanelView Plus.

"Failed to set system time" suggests that the HMI is getting its time from the PLC. You will get this error message when you run the application from your computer because ME Station can't change your computers clock. As Ken mentioned, you shouldn't get this error when you run the application on the PanelView Plus.
Thanks for answering, is there anything I can do to disable that?

Possibly. Open Global Connection in your HMI application > Date and Time tab. Not what tag is being used for Remote Date and Time.

Find that tag in the PLC, prevent a non-zero value from being written to it. Whenever the HMI sees a non-zero value, it will try to sync the time. If you force the value to zero, it will not sync.

I have a tool to automate taking screenshots of my application running on my machine, I have to disable the time sync during this so I don't end up with that message in the screenshots.

Possibly. Open Global Connection in your HMI application > Date and Time tab. Not what tag is being used for Remote Date and Time.

Find that tag in the PLC, prevent a non-zero value from being written to it. Whenever the HMI sees a non-zero value, it will try to sync the time. If you force the value to zero, it will not sync.

I have a tool to automate taking screenshots of my application running on my machine, I have to disable the time sync during this so I don't end up with that message in the screenshots.
It worked, thanks a lot!