FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Alarm Status List Update Issues

MattSaturn

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a strange issue with machine using a PanelView Plus 7 and a CompactLogix 1769 PLC. I am using FTView ME V13, but build the runtime files for version 11 on the PanelView.

The issue is coming from an Alarm Status List setup for Active Alarms in the properties. There are about 80 triggers in the alarm setup for the project that are mostly .InAlarms tags from ALMD and ALMA instructions part of the Studio 5000 program for the PLC.

This is an existing program that has been in use for a few years with minor changes, but the alarm setup and list works fine on 99% of the units we have in the field.

For this one particular unit I am experiencing the strange issue that the Active Alarm Status list will not clear entries from the list when any respective trigger clears back to 0. The status list adds an entry correctly when a trigger tags goes to 1, but it will not be removed from the list when the trigger goes back to 0. I have verified this by adding a test indicator next to the list that is animated for visibility on the same tag as an alarm trigger. When the trigger bit is forced on and off, the indicator behaves as expected, but the alarm in the status list stays. I have verified that the status list is indeed set to "Active" alarms rather that "Past" alarms as well.

Strangely, I can force the active alarm status list to properly clear the no longer active alarms by closing the runtime application and running it again (or by cycling power to the PanelView, which achieves the same thing). I've tested this and verified that no PLC tag changes were made; only the application was closed and reopened for the alarm status list to properly update and clear no longer active alarms.

The first idea was to swap the hardware for a fresh PanelView. This did not make a difference and the same issue was present for all alarm entries to the alarm status list. Seeing as no changes have been made to either the HMI application or the PLC program and that every other unit we have works fine with the setup, I am a bit at a loss in what could be the cause of the issue. The alarm status list even worked fine on this unit for some time before this issue popped up randomly when no changes had been made anywhere in the control system.

I have contacted the Rockwell TechConnect support and got the following recommendations:

1. Clear the log files on the terminal using Terminal Settings in Station
2. Launch the runtime application from my laptop while connected to the machine PLC and see if the issue happens there as well.
3. Change the alarm status list from "active" to "all" and see if the "Alarm State" column updates correctly or not.
4. Add a diagnostics banner to the alarm list display page and watch for any errors in the diagnostics output.

I am going onsite to the machine later this week and the customer is really hoping to get it resolved when I am there. So, I am making this post to try to be as prepared as possible to make the most of my time on site with the machine. Any thoughts or help beyond the Rockwell recommendations on what could be causing this are much appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

Matt

> There are about 80 triggers in the alarm setup that are mostly .InAlarms tags from ALMD and ALMA

It sounds like you have alarms configured in FTAE that duplicate the ALMD/ALMA instructions