FactoryTalk View ME - Security and other fun things

Jeebs

Hi,

Gots a few nice friday evening questions.

On a PanelView Plus 1250 Runtime version 5.10:
- How does one exit the runtime without using a Shutdown button?
- How does one permanently increase the Storage memory on said panel?
- Why doesn't FactoryTalk View ME throw an error when it's creating a runtime without valid Runtime Security users?

Had a panel that needed modification.
Requested back-up from OEM.
Received apa file, did the changes and then the dance started.
Not enough space left on panel to download new runtime, so manual deletion. Still, not enough space error. WTFF????
Finally found out you can manually allocate storage and application memory.
I was 8000kb short on storage memory.
Manual allocation is done 4kb per click.
Yeah, that was fun.
Downloaded new version, without valid runtime users.
Checked changes, everything OK.
Get home, get call that maintenance login doesn't work anymore.
Notice that FTView uses what I consider a f***** up way to handle runtime security.
Get over it, create new users, try to download.
Same not enough space left error, so manual deletion it is.
Guess what?
Ye need a valid user (other than DEFAULT) to use the Shutdown button.
Yay.

There should be a little white square in the bottom left hand side of the screen while the panelview is booting up, press that and it will boot into configuration mode or use a keyboard and press shift, ctrl, and alt at the same time and it will give you the option to shutdown the hmi program.