FactoryTalk View ME Runtime Security [$administrator]

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have asked Rockwell (Chat only), and searched Google and the Rockwell KB, and I am still not sure what this means...

[$Administrators]

This is also in the user guide.

Thank you.

$administrators.png

That is a user group.

Thanks. I understood that [ ] indicates a group vs no [ ] which is a specific user. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

What does the $ mean?

From Rockwell $=local windows administrator, still trying to figure out.

Does this mean that if there is a user, on the PC that has local admin rights, they will be assigned the security codes when they log in, even though they would not necessarily be listed as a user in the ME Application in the System Folder?

I've never noticed the "$" symbol appearing in the name before. Wonder if that changed recently. From what I see, only the Administrators group does this. I'm using version 12.

I added the other default groups and created my own, and none of them had the "$" in their name. Just that one group.

OG

Thanks. I understood that [ ] indicates a group vs no [ ] which is a specific user. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

What does the $ mean?

From Rockwell $=local windows administrator, still trying to figure out.

Does this mean that if there is a user, on the PC that has local admin rights, they will be assigned the security codes when they log in, even though they would not necessarily be listed as a user in the ME Application in the System Folder?

Its a user group... any user in that group has the authority of that group.

So don't stick your operators, supervisors, etc in it. Because they will be local computer admins. Totally capable of screwing the PC up.

They are flagging LOCAL PC Admin group or accounts with the $ to make them stand out I suspect.

From what I can see, the "$" is irrelevant. There is some confusion on the "Admin" accounts. Here is my summary on the built-in "admin" accounts

• Windows Administrators group is part of the FactoryTalk "Administrators" group. This means that users defined (locally) in Windows as Administrators are considered as FactoryTalk Administrators. They can login with their Windows account credentials. For example, if you are not an administrator on your Windows PC, this would allow IT access to setup security.
  • Administrators group is what they call FactoryTalk Administrators. These users must be defined within the FactoryTalk environment (or be part of the Windows Administrators group). They do not require matching Windows user accounts. They exist solely within the FactoryTalk environment and have NO IMPACT on Windows user accounts.

When adding these groups to the Runtime Security, it is not necessary to also add the individual users. You only need to add individual users when you want to assign them security settings that are different from the group they are part of. Or, if they are not part of any group. Add the group and the users are implicitly included.

OG

Last edited:
Thank you Nova5 and Operaghost...

From Rockwell...

$ sign is there because its a local admin group
Administrators group is the FactoryTalk Admin group. This group contains also Windows Administrators. Any local admin is also a FactoryTalk Administrator so $ denotes FTAdmin
The runtime security works the same way on PC or PanelView PLus even when using windows linked users.

And see to me, the Windows Administrators is the local admin group. But I guess it depends on your definition of "local". To Rockwell I suppose "local" would be FactoryTalk, where to me "local" is the PC I am developing on. Functionally, all that appears to have happened was that they changed the name from "Administrators" to "$Administrators".

I did check to see that when I was using the group name within my application without the "$" it still recognized it properly and it worked fine. So, a visual change is really all that it amounts to.

I checked version 11 and saw the same naming scheme. Maybe it has been like that for a while and I just never noticed.

OG

EDIT: Version 10 shows this also. I've just not noticed this all along I guess.

Last edited:
And see to me, the Windows Administrators is the local admin group. But I guess it depends on your definition of "local". Functionally, all that appears to have happened was that they changed the name from "Administrators" to "$Administrators".

I did check to see that when I was using the group name within my application without the "$" it still recognized it properly and it worked fine. So, a visual change is really all that it amounts to.

I checked version 11 and saw the same naming scheme. Maybe it has been like that for a while and I just never noticed.

OG

Local is more or less... ambiguous. But when Rockwell stated $ = Local Windows Administrators, that tipped it. I guess they are trying to make it ambiguously clear by adding the $ to the head of the name for the admin group. Well done Rockwell... *smh w/ eyeroll*

Local.. local to what.. the PC or the software package? At least we know its not at a random PC in timbuktu... or do we? (Xfiles theme)