Failed to go Online with the Controller

Jmeadows7676

I'm getting the Dreaded "Failed to go Online with the Controller, Unable to Open Connection - All Connections may be in use"

I suspect an FTView SE HMI. It seem to be just Opening Connections and not closing the Last. Does this look right??
See Picture

Screenshot 2024-02-07 100959.png

Out of curiosity, what controller are you using?

I never have issue with L7x processors. The L8 processors are another story. We use Wonderware and the IOServer has the ability to smother the L8 processor just like you are seeing. Once that happens, I will not be able to get online until I restart the IOServer.

Its the L8. The FactoryTalk View SE just seem to keep grabbing connections until all are gone. Didn't know if the above is normal because it is a very large HMI Application.

Out of curiosity, what controller are you using?

I never have issue with L7x processors. The L8 processors are another story. We use Wonderware and the IOServer has the ability to smother the L8 processor just like you are seeing. Once that happens, I will not be able to get online until I restart the IOServer.

That's concerning....I use both L8's and WW and haven't seen this issue....yet.

Is it specific to using the L8 ethernet port or does it happen on ENxT's? Are you using the ABCIP I/O driver or Kepware?

Here is my background:
We were all L7 processors using EN2TR cards (front port not used) with one EN2TR card dedicated to our "control network" that has the wonderware and is where we get online with the processor from laptops. Wonderware is using I/O servers. Some PLCs were being polled by the old CIP server, some with the newer OI server. We had issues with both. Wonderware is both HMI applications and historian - both hitting the same IOServer. So only the IOServer is hitting the PLC.
When we first converted an L7 to L8, we realized that only one of us could get online at a time - the other had no connections. If I logged off, he could get on etc. We then discovered that our backup IOserver was running at the same time that the main IOserver was. We disabled the backup and the problems went away. In talking with Rockwell, they explained that the L7 and L8 have limited class 1 and limited class 3 connections (that may be the wrong term). The difference is that if the L7 had too many class 1 and unused class 3, it would just spill over into the class 3. The L8 will not violate that boundary so you get the "no connections available". Now, I have since mentioned that to several Rockwell people and they all look at me blankly and discount that explanation - wish I knew who I talked to back then.
In my one current production line, I have an L82S and a single IO server which is the older CIP. We run 24/7 and take a downday every 6 weeks. Very often at the end of downday, the Wonderware HMI's aren't getting data so we we have to disable/enable the IOServer and all is good. Aside from locking out a lot of ethernet vfd's, I have no idea what might be triggering the issue. IT has verified that the network switches aren't losing power or seeing faults.
The last downday was a little different. I was online to make some programming changes and I lost connection. After confirming that no one cycled power to my L8 and seeing that the processor seemed happy in the chassis and was talking with all of my various Panelviews (10+?), I went back to the IOServer. I disabled/enabled it and I could get back online. This happened twice more that day.

Its the L8. The FactoryTalk View SE just seem to keep grabbing connections until all are gone. Didn't know if the above is normal because it is a very large HMI Application.

I'm very interested to hear that you have issues with FactoryTalk SE. I've been cursing Wonderware for years thinking it was an issue with their IOServer.

I have ZERO issues with Panelviews.

Out of curiosity, do you have a historian hitting your IOServer too? For the most part, I think Wonderware only hits the IOServer for the tags on the active screen or tags used in trends or scripts. Historian tags are always being polled, so that would hit the PLC a lot more.