Failed to install Studio 500 Logix Emulate in slot

patjdixon

I have a virtual machine on Win 10. I have Emulate v32 working with several controllers of different versions running successfully, as well as an IO slot. I can add another IO slot successfully. (see rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_01.jpg)

If I try to create a new controller slot, I get "Internal error. Failed to install Studio 5000 Logix Emulate in slot" (rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_02.jpg)

I saw a posting here saying I should run repair. I also saw Rockwell document BF21451 saying I should set UAC to never. I did so (see rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_03.jpg)

Running repair caused "RegOpenKeyEx - 1 failed" (see rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_04.jpg)

Trying to open Emulate, it cannot read the virtual backplane (see rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_05.jpg)

rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_01.jpg rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_02.jpg rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_03.jpg rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_04.jpg rockwell_emulate_unabletocreatectlslot_05.jpg

After much pain and a chat with Rockwell I did solution 4 from Rockwell document BF15023. Note, uninstalling Emulate will delete the snapshots, so you will have to re-create the slots after re-installing

An additional note; this procedure broke FactoryTalk Linx. The FTLinx that is supposed to be in slot 1 of Emulator was lost (blank). Here is a procedure that works:

1. Re-installing Emulate to fix inability to add controller slots broke FTLinx
2. If you re-install FTLinx using BF22488, you need to go to the registry and change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system Change EnableLUA from 1 to 0 (QA53328)
3. Follow BF22488 can get FTLinx back in Emulate slot 1