Failing to Upload From 5069-L306ER Controller

controls

I am trying to upload from an AB controller ( device info attached).

I'm using Studio 5000 v32.04.00.

I reach the "Connected to Upload" dialog (attached) as normal and begin the upload. But during the "Uploading all Controller Tags" step, the Controller Name field changes to EmptyController and the upload ends.

I'm sure I'm doing something obviously wrong, but I'm stumped. Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much!

DeviceProperties.png UploadErrorDetails.png UploadError.png

You're not doing anything wrong, but I found some bad news...

There's a tech note (access level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1134784/loc/en_US

It says that this is a known anomaly with v32.00 and higher that requires a download of a backup ACD file to correct.

It doesn't say anything more about it or what a possible fix/workaround is. Newer release notes for that PLC may have more details. I would try a different PC, just in case, but the tech note isn't encouraging.

Thank you!! I was able to locate a backup and go online that way.

Welcome to the forum!

Post back your results. Ideally, you'd be able to go online with your backup. The tech note suggests that you must download your backup to the controller to get back online. It would be interesting to know if you were in fact forced to download. This would be a bad situation for a lot of people where temporarily stopping the controller is not an option.

Fortunately the backup was identical and I was able to go to online with it directly.

By the way, I used Pylogix a couple years back to do some basic scripting for some processes controlled by Micro800s. Super easy to use and very powerful; thanks for that!

You're not doing anything wrong, but I found some bad news...

There's a tech note (access level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1134784/loc/en_US

It says that this is a known anomaly with v32.00 and higher that requires a download of a backup ACD file to correct.

It doesn't say anything more about it or what a possible fix/workaround is. Newer release notes for that PLC may have more details. I would try a different PC, just in case, but the tech note isn't encouraging.

I can't access this TechNote through the link, it says the answer you're trying to request does not exist. Odd... Can you provide the number of the Technote?

I haven't seen the OPs issue yet. It's a bit concerning to read this and think I may potentially see it at any time. I wonder if it's an issue specific to a particular model# of PLC.

I knew there was a reason I find myself sticking to the older software versions on projects. LOL One of my test bench's is still on V20.04. Old habits die hard and sometimes the thought of using newer versions just for the sake being on the newest version doesn't make sense to me.

I'd like to learn more about the OPs issue. I'm often tasked with getting auction and secondhand equipment up and running. Usually never have anything but the uploads I can acquire.

It's Tech Note ID BF27876.

I just tested it with a 1769-L24ER at v34 and it worked with no issue. I'm not sure if it's a sometimes thing or if it's consistent or if it's hardware specific. The tech note refers only to Logix Designer, not the PLC model. You're right, it's a little disconcerting....

The release notes for v32 and v33 of Logix Designer don't mention this exactly but do mention "failed to upload modules", instead of "failed to upload tags" that the tech note talks about. The release notes for v34 don't mention it at all. V30 release notes don't have any mention of it at all.

This is a weird one...

Fortunately the backup was identical and I was able to go to online with it directly.

By the way, I used Pylogix a couple years back to do some basic scripting for some processes controlled by Micro800s. Super easy to use and very powerful; thanks for that!

Nice on both posts! (y)

I can't access this TechNote through the link, it says the answer you're trying to request does not exist. Odd... Can you provide the number of the Technote?
It appears that currently if you attempt to access a TechConnect-required article via direct url while not logged in it redirects to that 'Answer Unavailable' page instead of routing to a login page as it used to.

EDIT: This is the second issue that could prevent uploads that I've heard of in v32. The other has to do with online udt creation/editing and the 'fix' for it was to rebuild and re-download the project (supposedly fixed in 32.014)

Last edited: