Fanuc R-J3iB, R-J3iC

Hi All
My first post here. During my searches on the net, the most knowledgeable answers were to be found here;-)

So, while this is not exactly a PLC question, is anyone familiar with the Fanuc R-J3iC controller.

I've been building up an interface box for a R-J3iC controller using a R-J3iB manual as my reference, only to find that the I/O does not work as expected. The inputs, like Enable, Continue, Run, are read when the panel buttons are pressed, but I can't seem to toggle the outputs from the pendant. Also, the R-J3iB ports are labelled CRM2A, CRM2B, but the I/O card on the R-J3iC is labelled CRM5A, CRM5B. I thought this would not matter, as the controller maps it as Rack 0, slot 1 on power up.

So, am I way out in expecting the CRM5A to match the CRM2A connector? And is there some variable I maybe need to set to enable outputs. I can't even toggle the Pause, Perch.. LED's, which are dedicated lines, but so are Perch, Pause, which can be read. My output LED's just stay on. So I made up a simple test cable with one LED, for the Pause line, and was able to toggle it on a R-J3iB panel, but on the R-J3iC panel, it just stays permanently lit.

Other info;
- On the port lines, I tied all the COMx lines to 0V, assuming the outputs are NPN. All my LED's are connected output>LED>+24V. I thought maybe they're PNP, and so tried output>LED>0V, but that did not work either.
- I tried a second I/O card, and it was the same.
- I tried the single LED on a third I/O card, and it was the same. Always permanently on from power up.

Help appreciated.

Regards
Roland

Is there a fieldbus card installed on the robot? Ex: Devicenet, Profibus etc.
Have a look on the IO config info where the IO's are mapped to.
You will find this on IO page, then config from memory.
It will show the Rack, slot, starting point and so on for DI, DO, UI and UO.
Post all the mappings here if possible.
Following link for a site specifically for robots.
http://www.robot-forum.com/robotforum/

Hi Ranjith

Ok, there is no fieldbus connected but I did not look to see if I/O is mapped to that.
After power up, the Group I/O shows;
DI 1 - 22 0 1 19
23 - 512 0 0 0

DO 1 - 20 0 1 21
21 - 512 0 0 0

which is pretty much the default config. This is all pretty new to me too. I'm not sure if I need to do further allocating of the I/O. The reason I think not, is because the inputs seem to be correctly mapped, or are at least 'visible', but the output is not. I'll only be back Tuesday. The variable I want to check, from perusing the net, as described below is;
Remote condition

When the following remote conditions are satisfied,the robot is in the remote state.

• · The teach pendant enable switch is set off.
  • · The ENBL signal of the peripheral I/O is set on.
  • · System variable $RMT_MASTER is set 0 (Peripheral device)
NOTE
$RMT_MASTER Specifies the kind of remote device.
0 : Peripheral device
1 : CRT/KB
2 : Host computer
3 : No remote device

Looks like you have 19 inputs and 21 outputs are mapped to process IO boards.
Can you check the mapping for UI and UO's.
Check where the CRM2A and CRM2B cables are plugged into on Process IO Board. Do you have a pin configuration for CRM2a and CRM2B terminal blocks?
DO1 is on CRM2B-Pin33 according to my diagram. These outputs switch 0 Volts.
You need to connect
0V to pins 17,18,23,28,37,42 and 47
+24V to pins 49 and 50 on both CRM2A and CRM2B

$RMT_MASTER determines the Remote Switch Operation.
Minimum: 0x80000000 Maximum: 0x7FFFFFFF Default: 0 KCL/Data:
RW Program: RW UIF: RW CRTL: RW Data Type:
INTEGER Memory: CMOS
Name: Remote Master
Description: Determines which remote device is in control of motion when the
remote switch is set to REMOTE. 0:User Operator Panel 1:CRT/KB 2:Host
computer 3:Remote device none

Hi Ranjith

My main concern right now is that there is no CRM2A CRM2B on this board

I have CRM5A, CRM5B, and right now I don't know those pinouts, or if it's the same. I don't think it's the same. I can't say for sure until I see CRM5A listed in a manual.

I have wired it up as CRM2A, as you show, but it does not work......

Regards
Roland